You're going to love this Dunkaroo Dip recipe! The childhood classic dip can now be made from scratch at home using simple ingredients. It is perfect for any party or get-together, and it's a great snack to enjoy with cookies or crackers. Best of all, this recipe is super easy to follow and only takes minutes to prepare!
If you were a child in the 90s you probably have some major snack nostalgia. One of the most popular snacks during that time was Dunkaroo's.
This sweet snack was comprised of little shortbread cookies shaped like kangaroos that you dunk into a small tub of flavored frosting. You simply dipped the cookies into the frosting and enjoyed a delicious sweet snack.
There were a few flavors of this snack, but the most popular flavor was always the birthday cake or Funfetti dunkaroo's.
While the snack has made a resurgence in the last few years, we love making the birthday cake dip from scratch! This way we can control the ingredients and make enough to feed a crowd!
Why Make This Recipe
You can enjoy a taste of childhood with this sweet and delicious snack.
The ingredients for homemade copycat Dunkaroo Dip are simple and can be found at any grocery store.
This homemade cake mix dip is great for a party or as an after-school snack.
Unlike buying from the store, you can control the ingredients and the taste!
- Funfetti Cake Mix - This specific cake mix is key for getting that classic dunkaroo flavor. You can find this cake mix at any grocery store in the baking aisle.
- Cool Whip - This whipped topping makes up the base of the dessert which makes it light, creamy, and fluffy.
- Yogurt - Plain or vanilla-flavored yogurt adds a tangy twist along with a thick texture that's perfect for dunking.
- Vanilla Extract - Enhances the overall vanilla cake flavor in the dip.
- Rainbow Sprinkles - Gives the dip its classic confetti color.
- Dippers - You can use a mix of Dunkaroos, animal crackers, Teddy Grahams, or other small cookies to dip up this sweet treat.
Please scroll down to the recipe card below for the full quantities.
Wondering how to make this Dunkaroo Dip recipe? It's easy!
Just follow this step-by-step photo tutorial. Then, scroll down for the recipe card for the full ingredients list and recipe method.
Assemble the mixture: To a large mixing bowl, add the cake mix, cool whip, yogurt, and vanilla. Stir or beat with a mixer until fully combined. Fold in half of the sprinkles.
Chill the mixture: Cover the bowl and add to the fridge. Let it chill for 1 hour or longer to allow the flavors to mix and develop.
Garnish and serve: Remove the dip from the bowl with a rubber spatula into a serving bowl. Top with the remaining sprinkles and serve with your favorite dippers!
Don't overmix the dip as this could deflate the air in the cool whip. Mix just until fully combined.
It's important for the dip to chill in the fridge as this allows the flavors to develop.
Because of the dairy in this dip, do not let it sit out for longer than a couple of hours. You can set it in a bowl of ice if it's served outside.
If you want to make individual dunkaroo cups, add the mixture to small plastic or paper cups and then top with sprinkles. Serve immediately or store in the fridge for later.
If you want a stronger cake flavor, feel free to add an extra teaspoon of vanilla or butter extract.
Instead of using rainbow sprinkles, try adding other fun toppings like mini chocolate chips, graham cracker crumbs, or even salted caramel sauce!
Give it a chocolate flavor by adding a chocolate cake mix or swapping out the vanilla yogurt for chocolate flavored.
For a fun summer twist, try adding some fruit to the dip like diced strawberries, raspberries, or even mango!
Funfetti dip can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week which makes it great to make ahead of time.
I do not recommend freezing this recipe as it contains dairy which can separate when thawed.
Dunkaroo's are not vegetarian as they contain gelatin which is derived from animal collagen. This is a great reason to make your own from scratch!
Yes, you can! Just use a gluten-free cake mix and certified gluten-free cookies for dipping.
No, you can swap out the Cool Whip for an equal amount of whipped cream or Greek yogurt. If using Greek yogurt, I recommend using a vanilla-flavored variety. This will change the texture and flavor of the dip so adjust accordingly.
- 15.25 oz Funfetti cake mix
- 2 cups Cool Whip (thawed)
- 1 cup yogurt plain or vanilla
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons rainbow sprinkles
- Animal Crackers
- Teddy Grahams
- Small Cookies
- Add the cake mix, cool whip, yogurt, and vanilla to a bowl and stir or beat until combined.
- Stir in half of the sprinkles.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 1 hour for the flavors to blend.
- Serve topped with the remaining sprinkles, with dunkaroos or animal crackers to dip in it.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.