This super creamy homemade Velveeta Mac and Cheese recipe is sure to please the whole family. Macaroni cheese is a classic dish that never goes out of style and this one is easy with a rich homemade cheese sauce. This dish is creamy, comforting, and above all, delicious!
Mac and cheese is the ultimate comfort food. Its creamy, cheesy, and carby goodness is the perfect combination to satisfy any craving.
This Velveeta Mac and Cheese recipe takes that comfort food to the next level.
The addition of Velveeta creates a rich and creamy sauce that clings to every noodle.
Velveeta is a brand of processed cheese product that is sold in the United States and Canada. It has a smooth, velvety texture and is used in many dishes, such as this awesome creamy macaroni and cheese.
For this homemade recipe, you'll simply need to cook the macaroni noodles according to the package directions. Then, you'll make a simple cheese sauce with milk, butter, cubed Velveeta, plus a few simple seasonings, for a rich and creamy taste.
Mix and top the mixture with shredded cheddar and seasoned breadcrumbs and bake for a decadent meal or side dish with a delicious crunchy topping.
Why Make This Recipe
- Velveeta cheese is smooth and creamy, making it the perfect addition to this mac and cheese recipe.
- This dish is also simple to make with only a few ingredients.
- Velveeta Mac and Cheese is a great side dish for any meal or potluck.
- It can be made ahead of time for up to 24 hours.
- The whole family will love it.
- This is a really easy dish to whip up.
You only need a few simple ingredients to whip up this easy Velveeta mac and cheese in no time!
- Elbow Macaroni - This type of pasta has a unique shape that holds onto creamy sauce well. But you can use other pasta, like fusilli, penne, or rotini.
- Butter - Adds a rich buttery flavor to the homemade cheese sauce.
- All-Purpose Flour - Used to help thicken up the sauce along with the milk and seasonings.
- Mustard Powder - Gives this dish a light tangy taste that pairs well with the cheese. Totally optional though.
- Garlic Powder - Infuses the dish with a mild garlic flavor. This is also optional.
- Milk - Adds creaminess and richness to the sauce.
- Velveeta Cheese - This cheese product melts beautifully into the liquid mixture creating a wonderful cheesy sauce.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese - Used to enhance the cheese flavor and to add on top.
- Seasoned Breadcrumbs - Mixed with cheese, breadcrumbs add a crunchy and satisfying topping.
Please scroll down to the recipe card below for the full quantities.
Wondering how to make this Velveeta Mac & Cheese recipe? It's easy!
Just follow this step-by-step photo tutorial. Then, scroll down for the recipe card for the full ingredients list and recipe method.
Prepare for baking: Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray a 2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
Cook the pasta: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, then add your pasta noodles and cook them according to the instructions on the box. Drain and set aside while preparing cheese sauce.
Prepare cheese sauce: Melt the butter in a medium pot over medium heat. Whisk in the flour, mustard powder, and garlic powder and cook, whisking, for 1 minute until melted and fragrant. Gradually whisk in the milk, and allow it to cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until it becomes thick. Stir in the Velveeta and half of the cheddar until it gets melted down into a creamy cheese sauce.
Assemble the mac and cheese: To the cheese mixture, stir in the cooked macaroni. Pour the mac and cheese into the casserole dish. Mix the breadcrumbs with the remaining cheddar cheese and sprinkle it on top of the dish.
Bake and serve: Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until heated through and golden brown on the top. Serve warm and enjoy!
The best pasta to use for this dish is shell pasta because it holds the sauce well. You can also use elbow macaroni, fusilli, or rotini.
Make sure the Velveeta cheese is cut into cubes before melting so it melts into the milk and butter smooth and easy.
This recipe can easily be doubled to feed a larger crowd. Simply use a larger casserole dish and increase the baking time by about 15 minutes.
Try the many different flavors of Velveeta cheese including, Sharp Cheddar, Queso Blanco, and Smoked Gouda.
If you want a little extra crunch, add some chopped bacon or fried onions on top.
Add in some diced jalapeños for a little bit of spice.
Make it a full meal by adding your favorite protein on top including, grilled chicken, shrimp, or even ground beef to make Mac and Beef.
Bump up the nutrients by adding your favorite cooked vegetables including, broccoli, peas, or diced carrots.
Storage & Freezing
Storing: To store any leftovers, place them in an airtight container and store them in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat using the microwave or the stove on low heat until warmed through.
Freezing: This Velveeta Mac n Cheese recipe can also be frozen. Simply place leftovers in a freezer-safe dish and freeze for up to three months. When ready to eat, thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating on the stove or in the microwave.
There are many types of cheese that you can use for this recipe, but some of our favorites include Velveeta, cheddar, and mozzarella.
The best way to melt Velveeta cheese is to cut it into small cubes and then add it to a pot of hot milk. Stir until the cheese is melted and smooth.
Yes, this recipe can be made ahead of time. Simply prepare the dish up to the point of baking. Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. When ready to bake, remove it from the fridge and allow it to come to room temperature. Then, bake as directed.
Velveeta is a processed cheese product that is made from cheddar cheese. While it is not technically real cheese, it does melt and taste similar to cheddar cheese.
More easy dinner recipes
We hope that you love this tasty Velveeta Mac and Cheese! Be sure to also check out these other side dishes too!
Velveeta Mac and Cheese
- Medium pot
- 2 quart casserole dish
- 2 cups elbow macaroni or shells, fusilli etc...
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon mustard powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup milk
- ½ pound Velveeta cheese cut into small cubes
- ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded, divided
- ⅓ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, then add your pasta noodles and cook them according to the instructions on the box. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a medium pot over a medium heat. Whisk in the flour, mustard powder and garlic powder and cook, whisking, for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in the milk, and allow it to cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until thick.
- Stir in the Velveeta and half of the cheddar until it melts.
- Stir in the cooked macaroni.
- Pour the velveeta mac and cheese into the casserole dish. Mix the breadcrumbs with the remaining cheddar cheese and sprinkle it over the macaroni.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until heated through and golden.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.