These homemade Turkey Patties are easy to make and can be tailored to your own taste. Serve them with sides, or use them as turkey burgers! You can use ground turkey or leftover roasted turkey from Thanksgiving or Christmas. Stove top and Air Fryer instructions included.
These turkey patties are super easy to make and taste incredible! Use any leftover turkey and turn them into this tasty dish. Serve them with sides, or turn them into turkey burgers!
Holiday leftovers are always something we get excited about. There are so many ways you can transform your food from Thanksgiving or Christmas celebrations, starting with the turkey!
This recipe for homemade turkey patties is another way to use leftover turkey in a delicious and satisfying recipe. These patties are high in protein and make a great sandwich filling or burger, or they can be enjoyed on their own with sides such as Buttered Cabbage, Jiffy Corn Casserole, or Sesame Green Beans.
You can change up the flavor to your liking, and they can easily be made right on the stove in a pan or by using your air fryer!
Why Make This Recipe
Don't let leftovers go to waste! Transform them into a high protein satisfying meal.
These turkey patties come together easily and cook quickly as they are made with already cooked meat.
You can make these on the stove top or in an air fryer, both methods are included.
They are great for meal prep and can be made ahead of time and frozen for later. Simply thaw and cook when you are ready to eat them.
- Cooked Turkey - You can use leftover roasted turkey from the holiday or ground turkey that has already been cooked.
- Onion - Adds texture and fresh onion flavor throughout the turkey patty.
- Egg - Helps bind all of the patty ingredients together as they cook.
- Plain Greek Yogurt - Helps bind the meat and spices and gives the patty a tangy flavor and a tender texture.
- Dried Breadcrumbs - Gives the turkey patties a crispy exterior when cooked and helps bind all of the ingredients.
- Dried Seasonings - To flavor the turkey patties, use a mix of smoked paprika, garlic powder, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Fresh Dill - Adds a fresh herb taste throughout the turkey patties.
Please scroll down to the recipe card below for the full quantities.
Wondering how to make this Turkey Patties recipe? It's easy!
Just follow this step-by-step photo tutorial. Then, scroll down for the recipe card for the full ingredients list and recipe method.
To make the turkey patties:
Cook ground turkey: If using ground turkey, pan-fry it until cooked. Let cool.
Prepare roasted turkey: If using leftover roasted turkey, remove all bones, then chop the meat very finely, or add it to a food processor and process until fine. Transfer it to a mixing bowl.
Cook the onion: Very finely dice the onion, then fry it in a skillet with one tablespoon of oil for a few minutes until soft. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
Form the turkey patties: Add the egg, yogurt, breadcrumbs, spices, salt, and pepper to the bowl and stir to mix thoroughly. Stir in the dill. With wet hands, form the mixture into burger shapes.
To air fry:
Prepare the air fryer: Line an air fryer basket with parchment paper and drizzle with olive oil.
Air fry the turkey burgers: Place the turkey patties into the air fryer in a single layer and air fry at 400F/200C for 8 minutes, then flip them to the other side and air fry for a further 4 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
To pan fry:
Heat the oil: Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium heat.
Pan fry the turkey patties: Add the turkey patties and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until cooked through.
Depending on how moist your turkey is, you may want to add more Greek yogurt or breadcrumbs to the mixture. If it seems too wet, add a few more breadcrumbs, while if it seems too dry, add a little more yogurt.
If you want to make these turkey patties ahead of time, simply form them into patties and place them on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet or plate. Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. When you are ready to cook them, follow the instructions above.
When cooking them in the air fryer, place them in a single layer so they cook evenly.
You can serve these turkey patties on a bun with all your favorite burger toppings or eat them as is! They are delicious either way!
There are so many ways you can change up the flavor of these turkey patties. Here are a few ideas:
- Add BBQ sauce, ketchup, or mustard to the mixture before cooking.
- Stir some grated cheese, diced green chilies, or jalapeños for a cheesy, spicy patty.
- Swap out the dill for another fresh herb, such as parsley or chives.
- Add a touch of honey or maple syrup to the mixture for a sweet and savory patty.
Storage & Freezing
Leftover cooked turkey patties can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days. Reheat them in the air fryer or in a skillet on the stove before eating.
You can also freeze cooked turkey patties for up to three months. Thaw them overnight in the fridge and reheat as desired.
These turkey patties can also be frozen before cooking. Place them on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet or plate and freeze for 30 minutes. Then, transfer them to a freezer-safe bag or container and freeze for up to three months. When you are ready to cook them, thaw overnight in the refrigerator then follow the instructions above.
Yes! You can use all dark meat, all-white meat, or a mix of both. If you use leftover turkey, removing the skin is best before chopping the meat.
Yes! Simply form the mixture into small patties and cook for less time.
Cooked turkey will last in the fridge for up to four days.
- Mixing Bowl
- 1 pound turkey roasted leftovers or cooked ground turkey
- 1 onion small
- 1 egg
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- ⅓ cup dried breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon dill freshly chopped (or parsley, thyme or other herb)
- If using ground turkey, pan fry it until cooked.
- If using leftover roasted turkey, remove all bones then chop the meat very finely, or add it to a food processor and whiz until fine. Transfer it to a mixing bowl.
- Very finely dice the onion, then fry it in a skillet with 1 tablespoon of oil for a few minutes until soft. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add the egg, yogurt, breadcrumbs, spices, salt and pepper to the bowl and stir to mix thoroughly. Stir in the dill.
- With wet hands, form the mixture into patties/burgers.
To air fry
- Line an air fryer basket with parchment paper and drizzle with olive oil. Place the turkey patties into the air fryer in a single layer (cook in batches if necessary) and air fry at 400F/200C for 8 minutes, then flip them to the other side and air fry for a further 4 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
To pan fry
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet over a medium heat. Add the turkey patties and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until cooked through.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.