Do you love Texas Roadhouse Seasoned Rice? Now you can make a copycat version of the restaurant favorite at home from scratch! White rice gets flavored with herbs and spices for perfectly seasoned rice. It's easy and bursting with great flavor. Ready in 30 mins with everyday pantry ingredients.
Why have plain rice when you can quickly and easily have Texas Roadhosue Seasoned Rice! It's full of big, bold flavors that will take your side dish to the next level.
Texas Roadhouse is a popular restaurant chain that serves steaks and Southwestern cuisine in America. This steak house has foods that have a cult following!
Not only do people crowd to this restaurant to get a fix of honey rolls with cinnamon butter, but the appetizers and seasoned rice are always a hit.
This recipe for seasoned rice shows you exactly how to make Texas Roadhouse Seasoned Rice pilaf right at home from scratch.
In just 30 minutes you’ll have restaurant-style rice to serve with your favorite proteins and side dishes!
Why Make This Recipe
If you're craving rice from Texas Roadhouse, you can stay home and make it from scratch.
It uses simple ingredients that are budget-friendly and can be found in any grocery store.
This seasoned side pairs well with proteins like steak kabobs or other protein options.
Texas Roadhouse rice takes just 30 minutes to make from start to finish.
- Butter - Adds a rich buttery flavor that is used to toast the rice and cook the onions.
- White Rice - This grain is easy to work with and produces a fluffy consistency that is both hearty and satisfying.
- Chicken Broth - This is the liquid used to cook the rice. While you can use water, chicken broth gives the rice a deeper rich flavor.
- Onion - Infuses this rice dish with onion flavor.
- Soy Sauce - Adds a salty umami taste throughout the rice that makes it super delicious.
- Dried Seasonings - A mix of garlic powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, and black pepper add lots of bold flavor to the rice.
- Chopped Parsley - Used to garnish, fresh parsley adds a pop of green color and freshness when stirred into this easy side dish.
Please scroll down to the recipe card below for the full quantities.
How to Make Texas Roadhouse Seasoned Rice
Wondering how to make this recipe? It's easy!
Just follow this step-by-step photo tutorial. Then, scroll down for the recipe card for the full ingredients list and recipe method.
Toast the rice and onions: In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the rice and the onions to the skillet and cook until the onions get soft and the rice gets toasted and nutty leaving a golden brown color. This should take about 5-7 minutes.
Season the rice: Once the rice is toasted add in the dried seasonings, chicken broth, and soy sauce and stir until fully combined.
Cook the rice: Bring the rice mixture to a boil. Once it’s at a boil, bring it back down to a simmer and cover with the lid. Simmer the mixture for 20 minutes or until the rice is fully cooked through.
Add parsley and serve: Once the rice is cooked, remove from the heat and stir in the chopped parsley until it's evenly distributed. Scoop onto a plate or into a serving dish and serve while it's warm.
Make sure you rinse your rice before cooking it. This will help reduce the number of starches giving it a perfectly fluffy texture.
When the rice is simmering, make sure to stir occasionally to check that it isn’t scorching, add a splash of water if necessary.
Use unsalted butter to cook the onions as the soy sauce and chicken broth will add salty flavor to the dish already.
Once the rice is finished cooking, let it sit off the heat for 5-10 minutes to absorb any excess moisture. Then fluff with a fork.
Instead of chicken broth, use vegetable stock or even a mushroom stock, for an even more deep umami flavor.
Use brown rice instead of white rice for additional fiber and nutrients.
Spice it up more by garnishing the top with a sprinkling of red chili flakes.
Cooked mushrooms, carrots, celery, or garlic can be added to the mix to bump up the nutrient density of the rice.
Serve it up Texas Roadhouse style with a sirloin steak, grilled shrimp or baby back ribs!
Enjoy as a side dish for all your favorite mains - from chicken to burgers.
Bring it to a party - everyone loves this spiced rice!
Storage & Freezing
Storing: Any leftover rice can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat in the microwave or saute in a skillet over medium heat until warm to reheat. Be sure to cool and store rice safely.
Freezing: If you’d like to freeze any leftovers, add them to a freezer-safe bag with as much air removed as possible. Store flat for up to 3 months. Let it thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating and serving.
This popular seasoned rice is white rice cooked in broth and then seasoned with dried herbs and soy sauce for a bold-flavored rice that goes with anything.
This rice dish is made with vegetarian ingredients (if you use vegetable broth) however, it is not vegan as it contains butter and chicken broth.
More side dish recipes
Texas Roadhouse Seasoned Rice
- Skillet with lid
- ¼ cup butter ½ stick, 55g
- 1 cup uncooked white rice rinsed, 210g
- 1 onion finely diced
- 2 cups chicken broth 500ml
- ¼ cup soy sauce I use low sodium, 60ml
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- ½ - 2 teaspoons ground cayenne pepper depending how hot you want it!
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup finely chopped parsley
- Add the butter to a large skillet over a medium heat.
- When the butter has melted, stir in the uncooked rice and onions and cook, stirring often, for 5-7 minutes or until the rice is golden.
- Add all remaining ingredients, except the parsley, and stir well.
- Increase the heat and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover with the lid and simmer for 20 minutes or until the Texas Roadhouse Seasoned Rice is cooked. Stir occasionally to check that it isn’t scorching, add a splash of water if necessary. Stir in the parsley.
- Serve warm.
- Make sure you rinse your rice before cooking it. This will help reduce the number of starches giving it a perfectly fluffy texture.
- When the rice is simmering, make sure to stir occasionally to check that it isn’t scorching, add a splash of water if necessary.
- Use unsalted butter to cook the onions as the soy sauce and chicken broth will add salty flavor to the dish already.
- Once the rice is finished cooking, let it sit off the heat for 5-10 minutes to absorb any excess moisture. Then fluff with a fork.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.