This easy 1-pot Spanish Chicken Stew is full of flavor! Seared chicken breasts are served in a rich sauce of tomatoes, potatoes, olives, vegetables and rich spices. Ready in just 30 minutes.
You're going to love this easy one-pot Spanish Chicken and Potato Stew!
Juicy chicken breasts are seasoned then seared to perfection before being simmered in a rich sauce packed with tomatoes, potatoes, olives, vegetables, and robust spices.
It's a flavorful dish that's ready to enjoy in just 30 minutes.
This chicken stew is one of my family's go-to midweek meals. Everyone loves the flavor, and I love that it's just so easy to make in no time.
You don't need a lot of ingredients, and they all come together in a rich and delicious dish.
We like to serve it up with a side salad and some dinner rolls to dunk in that gorgeous sauce.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Quick & Easy: With just 10 minutes of prep and 30 minutes of cook time, this dish is perfect for those busy weeknights when you crave something delicious without the fuss.
- One-Pan Wonder: Less mess, more flavor! Spanish Chicken Breasts are cooked in a single pan, making cleanup a breeze.
- Flavor Explosion: The combination of smoked paprika, garlic, and olives creates a taste explosion that will leave your taste buds dancing.
- Versatile & Family-Friendly: Loved by all ages, this dish can be customized to suit different spice preferences, making it a family favorite.
You only need simple pantry ingredients for this recipe!
- Chicken Breasts: The star of the show, boneless and skinless chicken breasts, providing the protien.
- Smoked Paprika: Adds a distinctive smokiness, crucial for achieving that authentic Spanish taste.
- Garlic Powder: Enhances the savory notes without overpowering the dish with raw garlic.
- Olive Oil & Butter: The butter and oil enhance the overall flavor and help achieve that golden sear on the chicken.
- Potatoes: Or baby potatoes, providing a hearty base for the dish.
- Onion and Red Bell Pepper: Adding sweetness and color to the mix.
- Garlic: Infusing a delightful aroma into the sauce.
- Cumin and Oregano: Earthy and aromatic spices that elevate the overall flavor profile.
- Red Pepper Flakes: Optional for those who crave a bit of heat.
- Chicken Stock: The liquid gold that brings everything together.
- Canned Tomatoes: A can of chopped tomatoes, providing a rich, tomatoey base.
- Green Olives: Pitted and briny, introducing a burst of flavor.
- Bay Leaves: For that subtle, aromatic essence.
- For a leaner option, turkey breasts can be used instead of chicken - adjust cooking time accordingly.
- Swap regular potatoes for sweet potatoes for a twist.
- Kalamata olives can be used as a substitute for green olives.
See the recipe card for quantities and method.
How to make Spanish Chicken Stew
Follow these step-by-step instructions, then scroll down for the full ingredients list and method.
Scroll down for the full ingredients list and method.
Season the chicken breasts with the smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Make sure to coat both sides of each chicken breast evenly.
Slice the onions and peppers, and peel and chop the potatoes.
In a large skillet or pan, heat olive oil and butter over medium-high heat.
Add the seasoned chicken breasts to the pan and cook for about 5-7 minutes on each side or until they are browned and cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
In the same pan, add a bit more olive oil if needed. Add the potatoes, onions, and peppers and sauté for 4-5 minutes or until the potatoes start to brown, the onions are translucent and the peppers soften.
Stir in the minced garlic, paprika, cumin, oregano and red pepper flakes for a further minute.
Stir in the chicken stock, canned tomatoes (plus their juice), and olives, then season with the salt and pepper and add the bay leaves.
Cover the pan with a lid and let it simmer for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender, and the flavors are well combined.
Add the cooked chicken back into the pan and simmer for a further 5 minutes, uncovered.
Garnish with fresh chopped parsley before serving.
- Vegetarian Twist: Skip the chicken and double up on veggies for a hearty vegetarian version. You can also add pan fried tofu or butter beans.
- Spicy Kick: Increase the red pepper flakes for an extra fiery experience.
- Mediterranean Fusion: Add feta cheese to the sauce for a creamy, Mediterranean twist. To keep it Spanish, try crumbling some manchego cheese.
- Grilled Magic: Grill the chicken instead of pan-searing for that smoky barbecue flavor.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Gently reheat on the stove for the best flavor and ensure the chicken is heated through safely.
More Chicken Recipes
- Even Searing: Ensure your pan is hot before adding the chicken to achieve a golden sear on both sides.
- Flavor Layering: Take your time sautéing the vegetables and spices; it's the secret to building depth in the sauce.
- Simmer Patience: Letting the dish simmer with the lid on allows the flavors to meld, creating a richer taste.
- Fresh Finish: Don't forget the fresh parsley at the end – it adds a burst of color and a final touch of brightness.
While boneless, skinless chicken breasts work best for quick cooking, bone-in chicken can be used with adjusted cooking times.
Absolutely! The flavors actually deepen when made ahead, making it a fantastic option for meal prep.
Spanish Chicken Stew
- Deep skillet or pan
For the chicken breasts
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
For the sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped peeled potatoes or baby potatoes, havled
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 red bell pepper deseeded and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes optional for heat
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 can chopped tomatoes 400g/14oz can
- ½ cup pitted green olives
- ½ teaspoon salt and pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- Chopped parsley
- Season the chicken breasts with the smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Make sure to coat both sides of each chicken breast evenly.
- In a large skillet or pan, heat olive oil and butter over medium-high heat.
- Add the seasoned chicken breasts to the pan and cook for about 5-7 minutes on each side or until they are browned and cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add a bit more olive oil if needed. Add the potatoes, onions, and peppers and sauté for 5-7 minutes or until the potatoes start to brown, the onions are translucent and the peppers soften.
- Stir in the minced garlic, paprika, cumin, oregano and red pepper flakes for a further minute.
- Stir in the chicken stock, canned tomatoes (plus their juice), and olives, then season with the salt and pepper and add the bay leaves.
- Cover, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. The time will depend on the size of your potatoes.
- Add the cooked chicken back into the pan and simmer for a further 5 minutes, uncovered.
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley before serving.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.