This Smoked Mackerel Salad is full of lettuce, apples, and beets, with a bold horseradish dressing! It's quick and easy to make and is perfect for a light lunch or a healthy dinner.
We love this hearty Smoked Mackerel Salad. It's full of lettuce, apples, beets, and a bold horseradish dressing.
It is a delicious and healthy meal that is perfect for a light lunch or dinner.
The smoked mackerel is rich and flavorful, while the apples and beets add a touch of sweetness and earthiness. The horseradish dressing adds a bit of a kick, but it is balanced out by the sweetness of the other ingredients.
This salad has incredible big flavors and textures.
It's great on its own as a main course salad, or you could serve it as a side dish.
How to Prep Smoked Mackerel
Smoked mackerel is a delicious and nutritious oily fish. It is a rich source of protein, omega-3 fatty acids, and other essential nutrients.
To prepare smoked mackerel, you will need to start by removing the skin and any bones from the fish. You can do this by using a sharp knife to carefully slice along the skin and then peel it off. You can also use a pair of food tweezers or fish pliers to remove any remaining bones.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It's a hearty, protein-packed salad that satisfies.
- This smoked mackerel salad is easy to make.
- You can customize it and add your favorite salad ingredients. Try swapping the apple for pear, the beets for chopped carrots, and the lettuce for spinach or massaged kale.
- This salad is packed with nutrients and vitamins from the variety of ingredients. Smoked mackerel is a great source of omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential for maintaining heart health, brain function, and reducing inflammation. Beets are a great source of fiber, potassium, and vitamin C, and quinoa is a complete protein, making this salad a great option for those who want to eat healthy.
- The combination of smoked mackerel, beets, quinoa, and apples creates a delicious and unique flavor profile. The smokiness of the mackerel pairs well with the earthiness of the beets, and the sweetness of the apples balances out the dish. The horseradish dressing adds a zingy and spicy kick to the salad, making it even more flavorful.
You only need simple pantry ingredients for this recipe!
- Smoked mackerel - You can find smoked mackerel vacuum packed in your fish aise at the grocery store. To prep, just peel off and discard the skin, remove any bones, and tear it into chunks.
- Quinoa - Cook your quinoa according to package instructions (usually simmer for 15 minutes). Don't like quinoa? Swap for couscous or rice.
- Beets - You can boil or roast your own beets, or use canned or vacuum packed (either in vinegar or without vinegar - whichever you prefer).
- Apple - Sliced apples add a great sweet flavor and texture. Use your favorite eating variety.
- Lettuce - Use your favorite salad lettuce.
- Lemon juice - to stop the apples from browning.
- Horseradish - horseradish cream adds a bold flavor to the dressing.
- Sour Cream - to mellow the spiciness of the dressing.
See the recipe card for quantities and method.
Once the skin and bones are removed, you can then flake the smoked mackerel into smaller pieces. This can be done by gently pulling the flesh apart with a fork or your fingers.
How to make Smoked Mackerel Salad
Follow these step-by-step instructions, then scroll down for the full ingredients list and method.
Cook the quinoa according to packet instructions (usually simmer for 15 minutes then drain).
Cut the cooked beets into wedges and set aside.
Core the apple, then slice it thinly and coat it with the lemon juice.
Make the dressing by mixing the lemon juice, horseradish, salt, and pepper together.
Divide the lettuce between plates (or onto a serving platter), then add the quinoa, beets, apples, and mackerel.
Drizzle with the horseradish dressing.
Scroll down for the full ingredients list and method.
- Try swapping the apples for pears.
- Instead of lettuce, use raw baby spinach leaves or massaged kale leaves.
- Instead of horseradish dressing, try one of these salad dressings.
- Add in some crunch with toasted pecans, walnuts, or almonds.
- A small handful of mixed seeds adds extra goodness.
More Seafood Recipes
Smoked Mackerel Salad with Beets and Quinoa
- Cutting Board
- ¾ cup uncooked quinoa cooked according to packet instructions
- 4 cooked beets boiled, steamed or canned, or vacuum packed with or without vinegar
- 1 apple
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 cups lettuce leaves
- 7 ounces smoked mackerel fillets remove any skin and bones and tear into chunks
For the horseradish dressing
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1-2 tablespoons creamed horseradish
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- pinch salt and pepper
- Cook the quinoa according to packet instructions (usually to simmer it for 15 minutes).
- Cut the cooked beets into wedges and set aside.
- Core the apple, then slice it thinly and coat it with the lemon juice.
- Make the dressing by mixing the lemon juice, horseradish, salt and pepper together.
- Divide the lettuce between plates (or onto a serving platter), then add the quinoa, beets, appples and mackerel.
- Drizzle with the horseradish dressing.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.