This easy homemade Peppermint Hot Chocolate recipe mixes the sweet flavor of chocolate with peppermint using crushed candy canes! Great to serve at a holiday party or on a cold day with your favorite cookies. A decadent winter drink that everyone will love.
It's the holiday season and it's cold outside! What better time than now to share a recipe for peppermint hot chocolate?
This delicious drink is perfect for those chilly winter days when you need a mug of warm comfort.
This hot chocolate recipe uses chocolate chips and crushed candy canes to create a peppermint flavor that is sweet and festive.
If you're looking for something different, try adding some whipped cream or marshmallows on top along with crushed candy canes for garnish.
Grab your favorite mug and get ready to enjoy this warm beverage that will keep you feeling cozy all day long.
Serve them with some Gingerbread Brownie Bites and you'll be feeling super-festive!
Why Make This Recipe
It's the holiday season, which means your taste buds are probably craving something that is both festive and delicious.
This peppermint hot chocolate recipe will be a hit with adults as well as kids because it tastes great!
The entire recipe is made with simple ingredients you can find at most grocery stores during the holidays.
This homemade hot chocolate recipe contains no artificial ingredients and tastes better than Swiss Miss or Starbucks.
- Peppermint Candy Canes - This popular holiday candy adds sweetness and peppermint flavor to the hot chocolate.
- Milk - Makes up the liquid base of this hot drink keeping it smooth and creamy.
- Chocolate Chips - Solid chocolate chips are melted into the mixture to give this drink it's classic cocoa taste.
- White Sugar - Used to add additional sweetness if needed.
- Whipped Cream - Adds a fluffy layer of cream on top that rounds out the drink.
- Small Candy Canes - Used to garnish the glass and tie in with the festive peppermint theme.
Please scroll down to the recipe card below for the full quantities.
How to Make Peppermint Hot Chocolate
Wondering how to make this peppermint hot cocoa recipe? It's easy!
Just follow this step-by-step photo tutorial. Then, scroll down for the recipe card for the full ingredients list and recipe method.
Crush the candy canes: The large candy canes will need to be crushed into a crumbly mixture in order to extract their peppermint flavor. You can do this with a rolling pin while they are in a ziploc bag, or use a food processor. Set aside.
Heat the hot chocolate base: Into a saucepan, add most of the crushed candy canes along with the milk and chocolate chips. Turn the heat to medium-low and stir until the chocolate and candy canes are melted into the mixture.
Taste and serve: Using a spoon, test the hot chocolate mixture to see if it needs any more sugar. Once desired flavor is achieved, evenly distribute the peppermint hot chocolate into mugs and top with whipped cream, the rest of the candy cane crumbles and a small candy cane.
You can use a food processor or a rolling pin to crush the candy canes into the correct size pieces.
Granulated sugar is in the ingredient list but only needs to be used if necessary. The mix of chocolate chips and candy canes will have sugar in them already so you can taste and adjust as necessary.
When heating the hot chocolate mixture, do not bring it to a boil. This could cause the chocolate to become bitter. You may need to turn the heat down in order to keep it from getting too hot.
Enjoy with a side of freshly baked Gingerbread Cookies.
It’s the perfect after-dinner treat, especially around Christmas.
Enjoy as an after school snack or a warming treat on a cold winter's night.
For fun festive foods, serve some Beer Battered Deep Fried Brussels Sprouts, followed up by this peppermint hot cocoa!
If you don’t want to use crushed candy canes to create the peppermint flavor, try using a couple of drops of peppermint extract instead. A little goes a long way when adding.
Make peppermint white chocolate by using white chocolate chips instead of milk or dark chocolate.
Add a splash of vodka, peppermint schnapps, or Irish cream to make a boozy adult beverage that will keep you warm, cozy, and relaxed.
If you don’t enjoy whipped cream, top this hot chocolate with your favorite marshmallows for a classic taste.
Pour cooled peppermint hot chocolate into ice cube trays and freeze overnight. Blend the cubes up with milk for a frozen peppermint hot chocolate.
Storage & Freezing
Storing: Any unused portion of peppermint hot chocolate will stay fresh if stored in a jar with a sealed lid for 3-4 days in the fridge. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave when ready to serve.
Freezing: While peppermint hot chocolate is best served immediately, you can freeze cooled hot chocolate into ice cubes for later use.
You could also try making different types of hot chocolate using crushed candy cane pieces. For example, you might want to use peppermint flavored hot cocoa mix instead of regular cocoa for an interesting twist. This is a great idea if you're hosting Christmas parties this season.
Candy canes are a popular treat during the holiday season You will be able to purchase them at your local grocery store or other retailers. You can also find them online year-round.
It's best to consume this drink right away compared to storing it for later. However, if you do store the leftovers make sure to refrigerate them and eat within one week as long as the milk used is still in date.
Be sure to subscribe to my free Newsletter and follow me on Facebook and Pinterest for more tasty recipes!
Peppermint Hot Chocolate
- 4 peppermint candy canes
- 4 cups 950ml milk
- 1 cup 175g chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons white sugar optional
- 1 cup whipped cream
- 4 small peppermint candy canes
- Put the larger candy canes into a ziploc bag and crush them up with a rolling pin. Save about 4 teaspoons of the crushed candy canes to garnish and set aside.
- Place the rest of the crushed candy canes into a pan over a medium-low heat, along with the milk and chocolate chips.
- Stir the mixture until the chocolate and candy canes are melted, but don’t allow the hot chocolate to boil, turning the heat down if necessary.
- When it’s melted together, taste and add sugar if desired and heat for a further few minutes to melt the sugar.
- Divide the peppermint hot chocolate between mugs and top with whipped cream, a mini candy cane and the crushed candy canes.
- You can use a food processor or a rolling pin to crush the candy canes into the correct size pieces.
- Granulated sugar is in the ingredient list but only needs to be used if necessary. The mix of chocolate chips and candy canes will have sugar in them already so you can taste and adjust as necessary.
- When heating the hot chocolate mixture, do not bring it to a boil. This could cause the chocolate to become bitter. You may need to turn the heat down in order to keep it from getting too hot.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.
This is absolutely delicious! Will be making all winter long!
Oh yes, the perfect wintertime treat! Our weather is just turning and I made this for the kids. So good!