Learn how to make Microwave Cheese Sauce! It's super easy to make from scratch right in the microwave in one bowl. Plus, it's ready in just 5 minutes with 4 simple ingredients!
Microwave cheese sauce is a quick and easy way to add flavor to many dishes!
Yes, really! You can make a rich, creamy, and velvety smooth cheese sauce from scratch, right in your microwave. It's super simple and you only need one dish.
In less than 5 minutes, you can have a thick and tasty homemade cheese sauce.
Pour it on pasta, drizzle it on potatoes, or toss it over broccoli. There are so many ways to use it!
Microwave cheese sauce it perfect on microwave pasta to make an easy microwave mac and cheese! It's also great on steamed broccoli, cauliflower, melted leeks, or drizzled over Cheeseburger Stuffed Shells
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- You can easily make a creamy cheese sauce in the microwave.
- It's ready in just 5 minutes.
- You only need 4 simple ingredients.
- Microwave cheese sauce is really versatile and can be used in many ways (see below for a list).
- If you don't have a stovetop, you can still enjoy a rich and tasty cheese sauce.
- This sauce tastes the same made in the microwave as it does on the stove.
You only need simple pantry ingredients for this recipe!
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese - I like sharp cheddar, but any cheddar works. You can also swap to mozzarella, gruyere, Swiss, Monterey Jack or other melty cheese. A mix of cheeses is great too.
- Butter - butter adds richness and melts into the flour to create the 'roux'.
- Flour - you just need regular all-purpose flour for the cheese sauce.
- Milk - I use whole milk, but you can use 2% or 1% to make it a bit lighter - it will be slightly less creamy, though.
- Salt - a little salt brings out all the flavors of the microwave cheese sauce.
See the recipe card for quantities and method.
Follow these step-by-step instructions, then scroll down for the full ingredients list and method.
Add the butter to a large (2 quart / 2 litre) microwave-safe dish. Melt in the microwave on high for 30 seconds, or a few seconds longer if necessary.
Whisk in the flour, then return to the microwave and cook for a further 10 seconds.
Whisk in the milk until smooth.
Microwave on high for 2 minutes, whisking halfway through.
Stir in the cheese.
Microwave on high for a further 30 seconds.
Whisk the warm cheese sauce well.
Serve and enjoy!
Scroll down for the full ingredients list and method.
Why Should I Use A Microwave?
Using your microwave more can save you time and energy in the kitchen.
It is a great way to quickly cook, reheat, and defrost food.
You probably have a microwave, 90% of Americans do, but if you're not using it much lately, here are some reasons to get back to microwaving.
- Speed: Microwaves are generally much faster than traditional cooking methods, allowing you to quickly heat up meals or snacks in a fraction of the time.
- Efficiency: Microwaves use less energy than traditional ovens, making them more energy efficient.
- Safety: Microwaves are safer than traditional ovens because they don’t get as hot and don’t produce an open flame.
- Versatility: Microwaves can be used to cook a wide variety of foods, from frozen dinners to fresh vegetables.
- Simplicity: Microwaves are easy to use and require minimal cleanup.
Are you looking for more recipes to make in the microwave? Try these!
- Microwave Brussels Sprouts
- Microwave Green Bean Casserole
- How To Microwave Pasta
- Microwave S'mores
- Omelette in a Mug
- Microwave Acorn Squash
- How to Microwave Baked Potato
Be sure to also check out these 25 Mind-Blowing Microwave Recipes.
- Gluten-free - make it gluten-free by using gluten-free flour (try Bob's Red Mill).
- Vegan - Make it a vegan cheese sauce by using dairy free butter/margarine, milk (soy works well) and vegan cheese - look for one that melts well.
- Cheese - switch up the flavor with a different cheese - try parmesan, gruyere, Swiss or Monterey jack.
- Add chili pepper flakes, cayenne, chipotle paste, or hot sauce while cooking to imbue heat into the microwave cheese sauce.
- Add a pinch of ground nutmeg for a rich flavor.
- Stir in a little mustard or Dijon for a deep flavor.
- Swap half the cheddar for crumbled blue cheese for a sophisticated taste.
How to use Cheese Sauce
Once you've made your microwave cheese sauce, you'll want some way to use it! Try these:
- As a dip for chips, crackers, or vegetables.
- Use it to make macaroni and cheese.
- As a topping for nachos - try using pepperjack cheese.
- As a vegetable dip.
- On top of steamed vegetables like broccoli or cauliflower.
- As a topping for baked potatoes.
- As a sauce for broccoli and cheese.
- For fondue.
- As a dip for chicken wings.
- On fries, wedges, or other potatoes.
Storage and Freezing
Store: Store the sauce, covered, in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Reheat: Reheat your cheese sauce in the microwave or in a pot on the stove top. You may need to whisk in a little more milk when it's hot.
Freeze: You can freeze the cooled microwave cheese sauce in an airtight container or freeze bag for up to 6 months.
Microwave Cheese Sauce
- Microwave safe dish
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Add the butter to a large (2 quart / 2 litre) microwave-safe dish. Melt in the microwave on high for 30 seconds, or a few seconds longer if necessary.
- Whisk in the flour, then return to the microwave and cook for a further 10 seconds.
- Whisk in the milk until smooth.
- Microwave on high for 2 minutes, whisking halfway through.
- Stir in the cheese and microwave on high for a further 30 seconds.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.