This Italian salsa verde is an incredibly versatile and flavorful condiment that can be used in a variety of dishes such as meat and fish. It's ready in just 5 minutes and made with ingredients including parsley, anchovies, capers, and oil.
This Italian salsa verde is an incredibly versatile and flavorful condiment that can be used in a variety of dishes and is particularly great with meat and fish.
It is a bright, herby, and flavorful condiment that adds a bright and fresh flavor to any dish. This sauce is very simple to make and is a great way to add a punch of flavor to your meals.
It can be used as a dip, spread, or added to cooked dishes to add flavor and texture. It is a great way to add a fresh and flavorful touch to your cooking.
Not to be confused with Mexican salsa verde, this Italian green sauce is made with a combination of herbs, capers, anchovies, mustard, and vinegar giving it a unique and bold flavor.
Its bright green hue and incredible flavor make it a perfect addition to jazz up dishes from Air Fryer Tuna Steak to grilled steak.
Not only is salsa verde delicious, but it's also incredibly easy to make. All you need is a few simple ingredients, a blender or food processor, and a few minutes of your time. You can also make it by hand with a mortar and pestle, though it will be quite chunky.
Get ready for a delicious and flavorful addition to your meal with this easy salsa verde recipe!
Try drizzling this fresh sauce on Air Fryer Baby Potatoes, fish, or roasted vegetables.
What is Italian Salsa Verde?
Italian salsa verde is a type of sauce made from capers, anchovies, garlic, parsley, vinegar, and olive oil.
It is also called Bagnet Vert, and comes from the Piedmont region.
Salsa verde is used as a condiment and is often served with grilled or boiled meats and fish.
It is popular in Italian cuisine, but it can also be used in other dishes, such as salads, pasta, and sandwiches.
Don't confuse it with Mexican Salsa Verde, which is another green sauce, but it's made with tomatillos and jalapenos.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Salsa verde is a flavorful, fresh condiment that can be used as an accompaniment to a variety of dishes.
- It's a great way to liven up grilled meats and vegetables.
- This condiment is easy to make in minutes.
- It's full of healthy vitamins and minerals.
- It adds a delicious and unique flavor to pasta dishes.
- It's a great way to use up leftover herbs.
- This green sauce is a great addition to sandwiches and wraps.
- Parsley- You'll need fresh parsley, but you can also add basil, and, if you wish, a little mint. This sauce is primarily made with parsley.
- Anchovy fillets - canned anchovies add lots of flavor to this sauce.
- Garlic - for bold flavor.
- Capers - Capers add a rich, salty, umami flavor to the sauce. Rinse them briefly, or soak for 5 minutes, so they don't add too much salt.
- Dijon mustard - the smooth yellow dijon (I use Grey Poupon), not stoneground mustard.
- Red Wine Vinegar - The preferred acid used in this sauce. You can substitute white wine, apple cider vinegar, or lemon juice.
- Olive Oil - to help emulsify the sauce and become homogenous.
- Optional: Cornichons for even more flavor.
See the recipe card for quantities and method.
Follow these step-by-step instructions, then scroll down for the full ingredients list and method.
Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and process until fairly smooth. You'll need to stop and scrape the sides down with a spatula periodically.
Store it in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
To store your salsa verde for longer, add a layer of olive oil to the top of the sauce in the jar to 'seal' it. It will then last for up to 1 week.
Scroll down for the full ingredients list and method.
- Add 1 boiled egg yolk.
- Blend in 1 small slice of day-old bread.
- Try it with only parsley and no basil or mint.
There are lots of great ways to use your Salsa Verde!
- It's a classic topping for Bollito Misto - Italian boiled meats.
- As a topping for fish or chicken - Perfect for brightening up any fish or poultry dish. We love it on Air Fryer Tuna Steak and Salmon Bites.
- As a vegetable dip - Try serving your Italian salsa verde with raw vegetables like carrots, celery, peppers, and cucumbers.
- As a marinade - Marinade chicken, pork, or beef in this green sauce, for an added flavor kick.
- As a pizza topping - Give your pizza an Italian twist with a dollop of Italian salsa verde.
- As a salad dressing - Use it as a salad dressing to give your salads an extra punch of flavor.
- As a pasta sauce - Make a quick and flavorful pasta sauce by tossing cooked pasta in it.
- As a sandwich spread - Spread it on your favorite sandwiches or wraps for a unique flavor twist.
- In potato salad - Swirl it into a creamy potato salad for lots of flavor.
- As a topping for deviled eggs - Give your deviled eggs an Italian flavor with a dollop of Italian salsa verde.
More Sauce Recipes
- Unagi Sauce
- Arby's Horsey Sauce (Copycat)
- Chinese Plum Sauce
- Dill Dip
- Basil Aioli
- Taco Bell Chipotle Sauce
- Horseradish Aioli
- Bacon Aioli
- Chipotle Southwest Sauce (Subway Copycat)
- Truffle Aioli
To store your Salsa Verde for longer than 2 days, add a thin layer of olive oil to the top of the sauce in the jar and then store it in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Be sure to subscribe to my free Newsletter and follow me on Facebook and Pinterest for more tasty recipes!
Italian Salsa Verde
- Food processor
- 3 cups parsley leaves
- ½ cup basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint optional
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- 1 tablespoon capers rinsed
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 2 cornichons optional
- Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and process until fairly smooth. You'll need to stop and scrape the sides down with a spatula periodically.
- Store it in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- Tip: to store your salsa verde for longer, add a layer of olive oil to the top of the sauce in the jar to 'seal' it. It will then last for up to 1 week.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.
Such a delicious herby sauce. It went so well with steak.
The sauce was so flavorful. Anchovies really added a hit of umami to it. Loved its luscious green color as well.
This was so savory and delicious! We had it with lamb chops, but honestly, it was so good- I would even just serve it as a spread on crostini as an appetizer.
What?! Like this is so good! I've never had this sort of sauce, but we loved it on our sheet pan sausages and veggies.