Learn how to Cook Pasta in the Microwave to perfection! Microwave pasta is quick and convenient, plus it tastes just as good as the pasta boiled on the stovetop. Add your favorite sauce and you have dinner ready in minutes!
Are you wondering, "Can I cook pasta in the microwave?" Well, the answer is definitely: yes!
Cooking pasta in the microwave is quick and easy. It is also a convenient way to cook pasta if you don't have access to a stove.
This post will walk you through exactly how to microwave pasta to perfection.
When you're ready to cook pasta, you probably just plan to boil it in a pot on the stovetop. But, there's another way!
Cooking pasta in the microwave can be an energy-efficient way to cook since microwaves often use less energy than a stove or oven. It's particularly useful if you're in a dorm room and don't have much cooking facilities.
You can make so many great dishes in your microwave and even entire meals!
And be sure to check out this epic list of 25 Mind-Blowing Microwave Recipes!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- You can microwave pasta noodles in just minutes.
- Adapt the quantity of pasta to make just what you need. Simply add as much pasta as you like to a microwave-safe bowl and cover it well with water.
- Microwave cooking often uses less energy than stovetop cooking, so it can help you save money on your energy bills by cooking pasta in the microwave.
- The even heat of the microwave helps ensure your pasta cooks evenly, so as long as it is covered by the water when it expands, there won't be any uncooked spots or overcooked edges.
- If you don't have access to a stovetop, you can easily cook it in the microwave.
- If you're wondering, can I cook pasta in the microwave? This post has all the answers.
- If you're in a dorm room (or anywhere else without a stove) you can still boil pasta!
The Secret to Perfectly Microwaved Pasta
The +3 tip was given to me by a friend a few years ago. We were away in a cabin and couldn't figure out how to work the very old gas stove. Our pasta didn't go to waste though, because she showed me the secret to microwaving it!
It's all about how long to cook pasta in the microwave.
All you need to do to get it cooked just right is to add the pasta and plenty of cold water to a microwave dish, then zap it for the time on the package plus 3 minutes!
The +3 minutes gives it time for the water to get hot enough to cook the pasta properly.
Sure, you might need another minute or so if you like it quite soft, but the +3 secret should get your pasta noodles perfectly al dente.
I've been microwaving pasta ever since because it's soooooo easy!
You only need simple pantry ingredients for this microwaved pasta noodles recipe!
The ingredients for pasta in the microwave are the same as for boiling pasta on the stove.
- Dried Pasta - I used elbow macaroni, but you can use other pasta that fits into a microwavable bowl - try penne, fusilli, bows, or pretty much any pasta noodles etc... If using spaghetti, you should break it in half or thirds first so you can submerge it in the water.
- Water - you don't need to boil water first. Just add the regular tap water (or filtered water) to a bowl with the pasta.
- Salt - this is optional but seasons the pasta slightly.
See the recipe card for quantities and method.
Now, you're ready to cook pasta in the microwave! It's super easy. Simply follow these step-by-step instructions, then scroll down for the full ingredients list and method.
Add the pasta to a large microwave-safe bowl.
Pour in the cold water and salt and stir well. Ensure the pasta is completely submerged, adding more water if necessary so the pasta is sitting in plenty of water.
Microwave for the time stated on the package, plus an additional 3 minutes, stirring at least once during the total cooking time.
For example, if the pasta package says 10 minutes, microwave it for 13 mins.
Check the pasta and cook for an additional minute or two if necessary.
Drain the microwaved pasta and serve it with your favorite sauce and sides.
Scroll down for the full ingredients list and method.
You can use a variety of different sauces on your microwave pasta! Try these:
- Marinara Sauce
- Alfredo Sauce
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Cheese Sauce
- Bolognese Sauce
- Arrabiata Sauce
- Keep it simple by adding a little butter, salt, pepper and parmesan to your pasta noodles.
After cooking your pasta in the microwave, add a sauce then serve it with one or two of these accompaniments!
- Garlic Bread
- Caesar Salad
- Pesto Chicken
- Grilled Steak
- Garlic Honey Glazed Pork Tenderloin
- Tajin Chicken
- Roasted Beets
- Air Fryer Tuna Steak
More Microwave Recipes
Make the most of your microwave by cooking these tasty recipes!
- Microwave Brussels Sprouts
- Microwave Green Bean Casserole
- Easy Microwave S'mores
- Microwave Acorn Squash
- Microwave Baked Potato
Ensure that your uncooked dried pasta is fully submerged in the cold water in the microwave-safe dish. You need to make sure that none of it is sticking out of the water the entire cooking time, or it won't cook evenly.
Be sure to stir the pasta during the cooking time, so it doesn't stick together or cook unevenly.
Check the pasta at the end of the cooking time, and cook it for another minute or two if it's not soft enough.
- Microwave safe dish
- 10 ounces pasta 300g
- 4 cups water 1 litre, or more if needed
- Pinch of salt optional
- Add the pasta to a large microwavable bowl.
- Pour in the cold water and salt and stir well. Ensure the pasta is completely submerged, adding more water if necessary so the pasta is sitting in plenty of water.
- Microwave for the time stated on the package, plus an additional 3 minutes, stirring at least once during the total cooking time.
- For example, if the pasta package says 10 minutes, microwave it for 13 mins.
- Check the pasta and cook for an additional minute or two if necessary.
- Drain the pasta and serve.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.