Add a bold kick of heat to any dish with this homemade Horseradish Aioli recipe! Combine prepared horseradish with traditional aioli ingredients like garlic for a creamy, zesty sauce that will add flavor to any dish!
If you already know what horseradish is, you know that it adds a seriously spicy kick to foods and this recipe for horseradish aioli is no different!
Horseradish is a root vegetable that is often used as a spice. It looks like a large, white radish and has a strong, pungent flavor. Horseradish is often grated or ground and used as a condiment or seasoning. It's usually found in a jar at the supermarket.
For this recipe, you need to use prepared horseradish. This is horseradish that has been grated and mixed with vinegar and salt. You can find it in the condiment aisle of most grocery stores.
When mixed with a traditional garlic aioli, horseradish aioli is perfect for dipping, spreading, or as a sauce for chicken, fish, or vegetables!
We also love spreading it on sandwiches and burgers.
You'll also love our recipes for Bacon Aioli, Truffle Aioli, and even Dill Aioli. Try them all drizzled on Bisquick Oven Fried Chicken or Air Fryer Kielbasa.
Why Make This Recipe
- You can make Horseradish Aioli in just minutes. Mix, chill, and enjoy!
- The flavor is creamy, spicy, and perfect for adding a zesty kick to any dish.
- It's great for dipping, spreading, or as a sauce.
- You can easily double or triple this recipe if you need to make more.
- Making it homemade is a great alternative to buying it from Trader Joe's or Stonewall Kitchen.
- Mayonnaise - This creamy condiment is the main base of the aioli sauce giving it texture and smoothness.
- Prepared Horseradish - This is horseradish that has been grated and mixed with vinegar and salt to preserve its spicy flavor.
- Lemon Juice - This will brighten up the flavors in the sauce by adding a hint of citrus acidity.
- Garlic - This is a classic aioli ingredient that adds a subtle depth of flavor to the sauce.
- Sea Salt - Enhances all of the flavors in the sauce.
Please scroll down to the recipe card below for the full quantities.
Wondering how to make this Horseradish Aioli recipe? It's easy!
Just follow this step-by-step photo tutorial. Then, scroll down for the recipe card for the full ingredients list and recipe method.
Combine the ingredients: Prepare and measure all of the ingredients, then add them to a small bowl.
Mix the sauce: Using a whisk or rubber spatula, mix all of the sauce ingredients until fully combined and evenly distributed.
Chill and store: Transfer the sauce to an airtight container or jar with a lid and let it chill for at least 30 minutes before enjoying.
Make sure you buy prepared horseradish for this recipe as it is already grated and mixed with vinegar. If you can't find it, you can grate horseradish root yourself, but it will be much spicier!
For a milder horseradish aioli, you can start with less horseradish and add more to taste. Or you can use creamed horseradish sauce. If you want a really spicy horseradish aioli, add more horseradish to taste.
The chilling time in the fridge is very important as it allows the flavors to meld and develop. Do not skip this step!
For a vegan horseradish aioli, use vegan mayonnaise.
Add other types of herbs or spices to the horseradish aioli for more flavor. Try dill, smoked paprika, or even cayenne pepper!
Make a horseradish mustard aioli by adding Dijon mustard to taste.
You can give it even more heat by adding sriracha or hot sauce to taste.
Try roasting the garlic before cooling and adding to the sauce.
What To Serve With Horseradish Aioli
This horseradish aioli is perfect for dipping, spreading, or as a sauce! Try it as:
- As a dip for your favorite potato chips.
- Raw vegetables like carrots, celery, and cucumber.
- You can dollop it on top of baked potatoes. Try it on Microwave Baked Potato.
- You'll love it drizzled over grilled steak.
- Use it as a dipping sauce for fries.
- On sandwiches as a spread.
- Spread it on a burger.
- As a sauce on top of chicken, beef, or fish.
Storage & Freezing
Storing: To store your horseradish aioli, transfer it to an airtight container or jar and store it in the fridge for up to two weeks.
Freezing: You can freeze horseradish aioli but may find that the texture changes slightly and becomes grainy when thawed. If possible, freeze in small batches so you can thaw only what you need. Add it to an airtight container or freezer-safe bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw horseradish aioli in the fridge overnight and whisk well before using.
Aioli is a mayonnaise-based sauce that includes garlic while mayonnaise is a condiment made with egg yolks, oil, and vinegar. They are both delicious in their own ways!
This horseradish aioli recipe is made with mayonnaise, prepared horseradish, lemon juice, garlic, and salt. It's perfect for dipping, spreading, or as a sauce!
Prepared horseradish can usually be found in the condiment aisle of your grocery store. It's grated horseradish that has been mixed with vinegar and salt to preserve its spicy flavor.
More sauce recipes
We hope that you love this tasty garlic horseradish aioli! Be sure to also check out these other side dishes too!
Be sure to subscribe to my free Newsletter and follow me on Facebook and Pinterest for more tasty recipes!
- Small bowl
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice fresh
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and stir to combine well.
- Transfer the horserdish aioli to a lidded container and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes for the flavors to blend.
- Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.
The easiest and most delicious Aioli you will ever make. Thank you!!
I love a good aioli, and horseradish is one of my favorite flavors. That spicy tang is so great with so many foods.
Homemade condiments are my absolute favorite- especially ones with a kick. So easy and so good!
I found this recipe for my burgers and it was delicious! Thanks for all of the tips, I'm glad I started with a small amount of horseradish at first for the kids and then tamped it up for the adults. SO good!
This is delicious. Perfect for special sandwiches. I actually love to dip my french fries in it but it was so good with a French Dip sandwich too!