Start your day off with this easy, tasty Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole! It's made with simple ingredients including frozen hashbrowns, oozy cheese, creamy sauce, and a crispy cornflake topping. And the best part? It's easy to make, customizable to your taste preferences, and perfect for using up leftover ingredients.
Alright, are you ready for some breakfast inspiration that will make your taste buds dance? Because I have got a recipe for you that is sure to rock your world: a hashbrown breakfast casserole!
This dish is the ultimate breakfast comfort food - think crispy hashbrowns, creamy sauce, and melty cheese all baked together in one delicious casserole. Just reading about it is making my mouth water!
Now, I know you might be thinking, "But why should I make this specific recipe?" Well my friend, let me tell you - this recipe is a game-changer.
It's incredibly easy to make - just a few simple steps and you're on your way to a satisfying breakfast that will keep you full and happy all morning long.
But perhaps the best thing about this recipe is its versatility.
You can easily add in some breakfast sausage, bacon or ham, add in your favorite veggies, or experiment with different types of cheese to create your own unique flavor combination.
The possibilities are endless! We've made this soooo many different ways, so I wanted to share our base recipe with you so you can customize it how you like.
So whether you're feeding a hungry crowd or just looking for a satisfying breakfast for yourself, this hashbrown breakfast casserole is the answer.
Trust me, once you try it, you'll be hooked! My family sure is!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Hashbrown breakfast casserole is a delicious and satisfying breakfast dish that's perfect for feeding a crowd. The combination of hashbrowns, cheese, and other ingredients creates a hearty and flavorful meal that will leave everyone feeling full and happy. I love that I can scale it up easily, bake it all at once and serve up a crowd!
- With just a few ingredients and some simple steps, you can have a delicious breakfast casserole ready to go in no time. This makes it a great choice for busy mornings or when you need to feed a lot of people quickly. You can make it even faster by buying shredded frozen hashbrowns. Then, just mix it all up and bake!
- You can customize your hashbrown breakfast casserole with your favorite ingredients, such as bacon, sausage, vegetables, or spices. This means you can make it as simple or as complex as you like, depending on your taste preferences and what you have on hand.
Overall, a hashbrown breakfast casserole is a delicious and versatile dish that's perfect for feeding a crowd or just enjoying a satisfying breakfast on your own.
You only need simple pantry ingredients for this recipe!
- Frozen Hash Browns - You can use shredded hash browns, or patties. If using patties, you'll need to shred them in a food processor or chop them up finely with a knife.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese (I used white cheddar, but regular cheddar works great too) - or try using Monterey Jack, pepper jack, or a mix of cheddar and mozzarella.
- Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup - or use mushroom soup to make this vegetarian.
- Sour Cream - adds a rich creaminess to the casserole.
- Cornflakes - adds a great crispy topping. Or try swapping for crushed Ritz crackers.
- Salt and Pepper - to season the hashbrown breakfast casserole.
See the recipe card for quantities and method.
How to make Hashbrown Casserole
Follow these step-by-step instructions, then scroll down for the full ingredients list and method.
Preheat your oven to 350°F.
Skip this step if using bought shredded hash browns. If using patties, thaw them out then add them to a food processor or blender and blitz them up to shreds. Squeeze out excess moisture, then transfer them to a mixing bowl.
Add half of the cheddar, plus the chopped onion, salt, and pepper.
In another bowl, mix the soup, sour cream, and melted butter.
Add the soup mixture to the shredded hashbrowns and stir to combine.
Pour it all into an 8-inch square baking dish. Sprinkled the remaining cheese on top, place the dish into the oven and bake it for 20 minutes.
Sprinkle the top with the cornflakes, return the dish to the oven, and bake for a further 8-10 minutes or until golden and bubbling.
Allow the casserole to cool slightly before cutting it into portions and serving.
Scroll down for the full ingredients list and method.
There are many things you can serve with hashbrown breakfast casserole. Here are a few ideas:
- Breakfast meats: Bacon, sausage, ham, or Canadian bacon are all great options.
- Eggs: Fried, scrambled, or poached eggs are all delicious with hashbrown breakfast casserole.
- Fruit: Fresh fruit like berries, sliced bananas, or grapefruit is a refreshing and healthy side dish.
- Yogurt: A side of plain yogurt or yogurt with fruit is a great way to add some protein and probiotics to your meal.
- Toast: Toasted bread or muffins are a classic side dish for breakfast casserole.
- Coffee: Coffee is the perfect beverage to enjoy with breakfast casserole.
- Juice: Orange juice, grapefruit juice, or apple juice are all refreshing and healthy choices.
Try these add-ins to make your hash brown breakfast casserole extra special!
- Breakfast sausage or bacon.
- Diced ham or Canadian bacon.
- Chopped vegetables like bell peppers, tomatoes, and mushrooms.
- Spinach or kale.
- Different cheeses, like Monterey jack, gruyere, mozzarella, or pepper jack.
- Make it lighter with Greek yogurts instead of sour cream, and a light version of the soup, plus low fat cheese.
- Hot sauce or sriracha.
- Herbs and spices like garlic powder, paprika, or cayenne pepper.
- Jalapenos or green chilies.
More Breakfast Recipes
Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole
- 8-inch square baking dish
- Mixing Bowl
- 10.5 ounces frozen hashbrowns shredded or patties
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 1 onion diced
- ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 10.75 ounce can condensed cream of chicken soup
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ½ cup cornflakes
- Skip this step if using bought shredded hash browns. If using patties, thaw them out then add them to a food processor or blender and blitz them up to shreds. Squeeze out excess moisture, then transfer them to a mixing bowl.
- Stir in half of the cheddar, plus the diced onion, salt, and pepper.
- In another bowl, mix the soup, sour cream, and melted butter.
- Add the soup mixture to the shredded hashbrowns and stir to combine.
- Pour it all into an 8-inch square baking dish. Sprinkled the remaining cheese on top, place the dish into the oven and bake it for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle the top with the cornflakes, return the dish to the oven, and bake for a further 8-10 minutes or until golden and bubbling.
- Allow the casserole to cool slightly before cutting it into portions and serving.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.