This Crockpot Cheesy Chicken and Rice with broccoli is hearty, flavorful, and super easy to make! This satisfying dish is made with simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry. It's a real family pleaser.
Easy crockpot dinner recipes are always good to have on hand when you lead a busy life!
This crock pot cheesy chicken and rice dish is one of our family favorites because it is so easy to assemble and cook let the slow cooker do all the work.
This recipe includes chicken breasts, broccoli, rice, cheese, and a few simple pantry staples. All the good stuff, am I right?
Let the chicken slow cook until tender in a rich and creamy broth. Then, add the vegetables and rice and let it cook until a cheesy casserole is formed right in the slow cooker!
Serve this comfort food alongside a green salad or a simple side of steamed veggies for a complete and satisfying meal!
Why Make This Recipe
The texture of this slow cooker cheesy chicken and rice with broccoli is rich and comforting, perfect for a chilly weeknight!
The ingredients are simple and can be found at any grocery store.
The slow cooker does all the work cooking the rice and the chicken so there is no need to babysit!
It makes great leftovers that taste even better the next day!
Like most crockpot dinners, the smell of the kitchen when it's cooking is incredible!
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast - This ingredient adds a high amount of satisfying protein and texture.
- Onion - Gives this dinner a mild onion flavor throughout.
- Chicken Broth - Helps thin out the casserole while adding additional nutrients and flavor.
- Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup - Adds to the rich creamy texture while adding chicken flavor.
- Rice - Gives the dish its starch which helps make it even more hearty
- Vegetables - A mix of broccoli, corn, and frozen peas adds nutrients, texture, and flavor. Feel free to mix it up and use your family's favorite veggies.
- Cheese - Gives the dish a creamy and cheesy consistency. Mozzarella, Cheddar, and Monterey Jack all work well.
- Salt and Pepper - Helps to balance and enhance all the flavors in the dish.
Please scroll down to the recipe card below for the full quantities.
Wondering how to make this Crockpot Cheesy Chicken and Rice with Broccoli recipe? It's easy!
Just follow this step-by-step photo tutorial. Then, scroll down for the recipe card for the full ingredients list and recipe method.
Cook the chicken: Add the chicken, broth, onion, and soup to the crockpot and stir until combined. Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours (or high for 3-4 hours) or until the chicken is cooked through and fork tender.
Vegetables and rice: Add the rice, broccoli, corn, and peas to the crockpot, stir well and cook for 25 minutes on high or until the rice is cooked.
Next, add the cheese: Stir in the cheese until it melts, along with the salt and pepper.
Dice the chicken into evenly sized pieces to ensure even cooking.
The safe internal temperature of chicken is 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Use a meat thermometer to check that the chicken has reached this temperature before serving.
If you are using frozen broccoli, add it in during the last 25 minutes of cook time so it doesn't get mushy.
For a cheesy top on your casserole, add an additional ½ cup of mozzarella or cheddar cheese to the top during the last few minutes of cooking.
To make this recipe using brown rice, add it at the beginning with the chicken and cook for 3-4 hours on high or until the chicken is cooked through.
Chicken safety: Wash hands, surfaces, and utensils thoroughly after handling raw chicken. Before serving, ensure the chicken is piping hot and thoroughly cooked, juices run clear and no pink color remains.
Instead of chicken breast, you can use chicken thighs or other types of protein, including shrimp, pork, or beef.
If you want to make this vegetarian dish, leave out the chicken, use cream of mushroom soup, and add tofu or a can of beans.
Add other vegetables such as diced carrots, celery, mushrooms, or zucchini for additional nutrients.
For a lighter cheesy chicken and rice dish, use low-fat or skim milk, lower-fat cheese, and brown rice.
If you are gluten-free, substitute the condensed cream of chicken soup for a gluten-free variety or make your own with this recipe. Use gluten-free rice and chicken broth to make this a gluten-free meal.
Use any type of melting cheese including cheddar, mozzarella, Swiss, Parmesan, or a Mexican cheese blend.
Storage & Freezing
The leftover casserole can be stored when cooled in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days.
To freeze cheesy chicken and rice, place cooled leftovers in a freezer bag or freezer-safe container and store in the freezer for up to two months. Let thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
- In the oven: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Add to a casserole dish. Place the casserole dish with leftovers in the oven and heat until warmed through, about 15-20 minutes.
- On the stove: Heat a skillet over medium heat on the stove. Add the cheesy chicken and rice leftovers to the pan and heat until warmed through, stirring occasionally.
I don't recommend it, as the condensed soup helps thicken the sauce and gives it a lot of flavor. However, you can try other types of cream condensed soup your own homemade cream sauce.
Yes! You can either assemble everything in the crockpot and refrigerate it until you're ready to cook it. Or, you can cook the dish and then reheat it when you're ready to eat.
Yes! You can use quinoa, farro, or barley instead of rice. Just make sure to adjust the cook time for each type of grain.
This dish is packed with protein, vegetables, and whole grains, so it is a fairly balanced and healthy meal option. To make it even healthier, you could use lower-fat cheese, skim milk, and brown rice.
Crockpot Cheesy Chicken and Rice
- Slow Cooker
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts diced (or chicken thighs)
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 10.5 ounce can condensed cream of chicken soup canned
- 8 ounces rice
- 2 cups broccoli cut into bite sized pieces
- ½ cup corn kernels (canned or frozen)
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper or to taste
- Add the chicken, broth, onion, and soup to the crockpot, stir, put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 6 hours (or HIGH for 3-4 hours) or until the chicken is cooked through (be sure the chicken is cooked until the internal temperature reaches 165°F at the thickest part).
- Add the rice, broccoli, corn and peas to the crockpot, stir well and cook for 25 minutes on high, or until the rice is cooked.
- Stir in the cheese until it melts, along with the salt and pepper.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.