Cranberry Banana Bread is a delicious loaf recipe that that uses fresh or frozen cranberries and ripe bananas to create the perfect balance of tart and sweet. It's a festive twist on classic moist banana bread that can be enjoyed for breakfast, as a snack, or as dessert!
There are a lot of reasons that banana bread is so popular! It’s easy to make, it’s delicious, and it can be enjoyed in a variety of ways.
This unique recipe for banana bread uses fresh cranberries along with orange juice and zest to brighten up the naturally sweet flavors by adding a hint of tart and citrus flavor.
It can be enjoyed with a variety of toppings and sides. Some popular options include peanut butter, whipped cream, ice cream, or even plain with just a simple glass of milk.
No matter how you choose to enjoy it, Cranberry Banana Bread is sure to be a hit for the holidays or any time of the year.
Why Make This Recipe
- Cranberry Banana Bread great way to use up bananas that are overripe.
- A fun twist on the classic banana bread that uses citrus and tart flavors.
- It’s simple to make and can be enjoyed in a variety of ways.
- A fresh loaf makes a great gift for family, friends, and neighbors.
- A tasty recipe to use up leftover fresh or frozen cranberries.
- Sugar - this helps to sweeten the cranberries and bananas along with the base of the bread loaf.
- Butter - the butter helps to create a tender, moist texture while also adding flavor.
- Eggs - the eggs help to bind everything together, create structure in the bread loaf, and also give it a rich flavor.
- Ripe Bananas - these are used to add natural sweetness and classic banana flavor to the bread.
- Milk - this is used to help soften the bread and add a little bit of creamy richness.
- Orange Juice & Orange Zest - these two parts of the orange brighten up the cranberry banana bread by adding a hint of citrus and tart flavor.
- Cranberries - these give this recipe its unique twist with a tart, sweet-tart flavor that compliments the banana perfectly.
- All-Purpose Flour -flour is used as the base of this recipe. It helps to absorb any moisture that may leach out from other ingredients while adding more structure to the overall bread loaf so it holds its shape well after baking.
- Baking Powder - this helps to give the bread a little extra rise and fluffiness.
- Chopped Walnuts - these are optional in the recipe but add a nice crunch and nutty flavor to the bread when baked. Try swapping for pecans or other nuts.
Please scroll down to the recipe card below for the full quantities.
Wondering how to make this cranberry banana bread recipe? It's easy!
Just follow this step-by-step photo tutorial. Then, scroll down for the recipe card for the full ingredients list and recipe method.
Prepare for baking: Preheat the oven to 350ºF/175ºC. Grease an 8”x4”x3” loaf pan (2lb/900g) with a little butter or non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
Combine the wet ingredients: In a medium mixing bowl, combine the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until smooth. Then, mix in the eggs, banana, milk, orange juice, and zest.
Add in the dry ingredients: Sift in the flour and baking powder into the wet ingredients. Stir until just combined.
Fold in the flavorings: fold in the cranberries and walnuts until evenly distributed.
Bake and cool: Transfer the loaf batter into the prepared baking pan and smooth out until it's in an even layer. Bake for one hour or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center. Cool in the baking pan for 5 minutes before completely cooling on a wire rack.
The wet ingredients can be mixed using an electric hand mixer or a stand mixer using the paddle attachment.
Do not overwork the batter. Combine just until there are no streaks of flour. Overworking the batter will result in a tougher bread texture.
Make sure the butter and eggs are at room temperature before adding them to the loaf batter. This will help them to mix in more smoothly.
If you don't have orange juice on hand, feel free to use another type of citrus juice such as lemon or lime.
The recipe can also be doubled and baked in a larger loaf pan (such as a 12”x16”) for about 70 minutes.
- Add in some dried cranberries or dried blueberries for a twist on texture and flavor.
- If you don't have all-purpose flour, feel free to substitute it with whole wheat flour for an additional boost of fiber.
- Add poppy seeds to the loaf batter for a fun nutty taste with additional texture.
- If you're not a fan of walnuts, feel free to leave them out or replace them with another type of nut like pecans, almonds, or hazelnuts.
- Feel free to use the zest and juice of a lemon instead of an orange for a bright lemon flavor.
- Add in some extra flavor with pumpkin pie spice.
Storage & Freezing
Storing: The cranberry banana bread can be stored at room temperature in a sealed container or bag for up to four days. Store it in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Freezing: The cranberry banana bread can be frozen in a sealed container or bag for up to two months. Defrost at room temperature before serving.
Yes! If you don't have orange juice on hand, feel free to use another type of citrus juice such as lemon or lime.
Yes, you can use dried cranberries in this recipe. Just be sure to chop them up into smaller pieces before folding them into the batter.
Yes, just make sure it's a 1:1 ratio with regular all-purpose flour and that it contains xanthan gum in the mix.
More dessert recipes
We hope that you love this tasty cranberry banana bread! Be sure to also check out these other dessert recipes too!
Cranberry Banana Bread
- Mixing Bowl
- Loaf pan
- ¾ cup white granulated sugar (150g)
- ½ cup butter at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed banana (275g approximately 3 bananas)
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 cups all-purpose flour plain flour (270g)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ cups cranberries (150g) roughly chopped fresh, (or frozen, thawed)
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (65g)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF/175ºC. Grease a 8”x4”x3” loaf pan (2lb/900g) with a little butter or non-stick cooking spray.
- Add the butter and sugar to a medium mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Beat in the eggs, then beat in the banana, milk, orange juice and zest.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder and gently stir to combine. Stir in the cranberries and walnuts.
- Spoon into the loaf pan and spread to the edges.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cranberry bread comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove from the pan and cool on a wire rack.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.