You're going to love this moist and flavorful Chocolate Chip Banana Bread recipe! It's easy to make, tender, tasty and it's studded with chocolate chunks. It's an easy loaf cake that tastes so good!
Chocolate chip banana bread is a delicious and easy-to-make treat that is perfect for any occasion, from breakfast to dessert.
Banana and chocolate are one of the most popular flavor combinations and for good reason! They're just so darned good together!
I mean, banana bread is, of course, awesome. But add in chunks of sweet chocolate and you've taken it to the next level!
The addition of chocolate chips really adds an extra layer of sweetness to the banana loaf cake.
The bread is moist, rich, and flavorful and can be enjoyed warm or cold.
It is a great way to use up overripe bananas and is a great snack, sweet breakfast, or dessert.
If you're looking for more sweet treats, try Salted Caramel Cheesecake Pie, Lemon Blueberry Cookies, Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies, or PB&J Graham Cracker Sandwich (Welch's Graham Slam).
Why Make This Recipe
It's an easy, 1 bowl banana bread recipe.
You can use chopped chocolate or chocolate chips.
Banana and chocolate are a great flavor combo!
This is a really moist and flavorful banana cake.
It's freezer friendly.
You only need simple pantry ingredients for this recipe!
- Banana - you'll need 2-3 very ripe bananas for this recipe.
- Chocolate chip - you can use semisweet chocolate chips, or chop up chunks of milk or dark chocolate.
- Flour - Use regular all purpose plain flour for your cake.
- Butter - If you use salted butter, there's no need to add more in the recipe.
- Brown sugar - brown sugar adds a great sweet flavor to the banana bread.
- Eggs - help to bind and rise the cake.
- Baking powder and baking soda - to make sure the cake rises well in the loaf pan.
- Vanilla and ground cinnamon - for extra subtle flavor.
- Confectioner's sugar - for dusting the cooled cake. This is optional.
Please scroll down to the recipe card below for the full quantities.
Wondering how to make this chocolate chip banana bread recipe? It's easy!
Just follow this step-by-step photo tutorial. Then, scroll down for the recipe card for the full ingredients list and recipe method.
Beat the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, then beat in the mashed banana and vanilla.
Beat the eggs into the banana mixture.
Sift the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt into the bowl and stir to combine.
Stir in the chocolate chips or chopped chocolate pieces.
Pour the batter into the pan and spread evenly to the edges.
Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for a further 10-15 minutes, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
Allow the banana bread to cool in the pan on a wire rack, before taking it out of the pan.
Dust the cake with the icing sugar, cut into slices and serve.
For best results, your butter and eggs should be at room temperature. Don't worry if you're not organized enough to leave them out though, it will still work!
You can use frozen ripe bananas, just make sure they thaw before adding.
The browner/riper the bananas are, the sweeter and more flavorful the banana bread.
The bananas don't have to be completely pureed, just mash them well, but some small chunks is just fine.
Try swapping the chocolate chips for white chocolate, peanut butter chips, or butterscotch chips.
Swap the vanilla extract for almond for a different flavor.
Stir in 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder for a double chocolate banana bread.
Add ½ cup chopped nuts, such as pecans, walnuts, almonds etc...
Storage & Freezing
Store your chocolate chip banana bread in an airtight container on the counter for up to 5 days.
Freezing: You can slice and wrap the banana bread and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw and enjoy.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Mixing Bowl
- 2lb loaf pan
- ⅔ cup butter at room temperature
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup mashed ripe banana 2-3 bananas
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 ⅔ cups all purpose flour plain flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips or chunks
- 2 tablespoons powdered confectioner’s sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and line a 2lb loaf pan.
- Beat the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the banana and vanilla and beat again.
- Beat the eggs lightly, then beat them into the banana mixture, a little at a time.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt into the bowl, and gently stir to combine. Gently mix in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the pan and spread evenly to the edges.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for a further 10-15 minutes, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Allow the banana bread to cool in the pan on a wire rack, before taking it out of the pan.
- Dust the cake with the icing sugar, cut into slices and serve.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.