This creamy one-pot Chicken and Leek Pasta is perfect for a quick weeknight meal. Leeks are cooked with garlic and onion and mixed with tender chunks of chicken and freshly cooked pasta in a simple alfredo cream sauce.
If you're looking for a quick pasta dish that has a bold and comforting flavor, you'll want to keep this creamy chicken and leek pasta recipe on hand.
It's a quick and easy one-pot pasta dinner that the whole family will love. It's also a great mix of protein, vegetables, dairy, and carbs.
Leeks are a great vegetable to use in pasta dishes because they have a mild flavor that pairs well with garlic and onion, as well as chicken.
Simply fry up some pieces of chicken breast, then slice the leeks thinly, saute them with garlic and onion until they're cooked through, then stir in some cream, herbs, and parmesan, plus the chicken. The results are a simple chicken and leek alfredo.
Why Make This Recipe
- The entire chicken and leek pasta dish takes just 30 minutes to make.
- A great way to introduce someone to the great flavor of leeks.
- You can customize it by using any type of pasta you enjoy.
- Switch up the chicken for pork, steak, or seafood.
- Oil - Used to saute the leeks, garlic, and onion to help release their natural flavor.
- Chicken breasts - for protein and flavor in this pasta.
- Leeks - This light green veggie tastes like a mild onion and becomes soft and pliable when cooked down.
- Onion & Garlic - Helps add additional garlic and onion flavor to the pasta.
- Linguine Pasta - Used in this recipe to provide a classic pasta that helps soak up the sauce well. Use any pasta shape you like.
- Vegetable Stock - Infuses the pasta with an even more hearty vegetable flavor.
- Italian Herbs - Gives this pasta dish an herb flavor profile that pairs well with the alfredo cream sauce.
- Red Pepper Flakes - Adds a light kick of spice to the pasta which balances the flavors well. Optional.
- Heavy Cream - Used to create a creamy and luxurious sauce for the pasta.
- Parmesan Cheese - A classic Italian cheese that pairs well with cream sauces and gives this dish an extra cheesy flavor.
Please scroll down to the recipe card below for the full quantities.
Wondering how to make this Creamy Chicken Leek Pasta recipe? It's easy! Just follow this step-by-step photo tutorial. Then, scroll down for the recipe card for the full ingredients list and recipe method.
Saute the chicken: Cut the chicken breasts into small pieces, then cook them in butter until golden and cooked through.
Cook the leeks, garlic, and onions: Add olive oil to a large pot and heat it over medium-low heat. Add the onion and leeks and saute until softened. This should take about 7-10 minutes. Once they are beginning to brown, add the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
Add the pasta and liquid: To the pot, add the dried seasonings, pasta, water, and vegetable stock. Bring to medium heat until the pasta is cooked.
Add the cream and cheese: Once the pasta is cooked, stir in the cream and grated parmesan cheese. Cook for an additional minute. Adjust seasonings and serve with a sprinkling of salt and pepper while hot.
Add the garlic last to the mixture as cooking it too soon could cause it to become too browned and bitter.
Feel free to adjust the red pepper flakes to your liking. If you want a more subtle spice, start with just a pinch and add more as desired. Or leave them out completely.
Cook the pasta for the length of time according to the instructions on the box as this may vary with each type of pasta.
When preparing the leeks, make sure you clean them thoroughly. Sand and dirt can get trapped between the layers of the leek so it's important to clean them well.
Only use the white and light green part of the leek as the dark green stems are too tough and will not break down properly.
Instead of using linguine, feel free to use your favorite pasta such as penne, fettuccine, or even bowtie.
Add shrimp for more protein and flavor.
If you don't have leeks on hand but enjoy the flavor of onions and garlic, simply substitute them for the leeks. Cook until golden brown then follow the instructions below with the pasta and cream.
Use your favorite gluten-free pasta to make this recipe celiac friendly.
Add some other vegetables to the mix including asparagus, zucchini, or broccoli to add additional nutrients and flavor.
Storage & Freezing
Storing: To store leftover chicken leek alfredo, allow the pasta to cool completely before transferring it to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to three days. To reheat, warm in the microwave until heated through or transfer it back into a pot over medium-high heat on the stovetop and stir until warmed through.
Freezing: This leek and chicken pasta recipe can be frozen for up to a month. Allow the pasta to cool completely then transfer it into a freezer-safe airtight container or bag and freeze. When ready, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and reheat until warmed through as directed above.
Tip: if you ever make too much, you can freeze pasta.
No, although the dark green leaves of the leeks are edible, they are rather too tough and will not break down properly. Therefore, they should be removed before cooking. Use the white and light green parts. The dark green can be used to make stock.
Clean them well using a technique called v-washing'. To do this, slice off about an inch of the leek from the dark green end. Cut in half lengthwise and then slice each half into thin strips. Hold the leek strips together and rinse them under cold water, allowing the sand and dirt to fall away. You can also use a salad spinner to dry them off before using.
You can but I would recommend sauteing them for a few minutes before adding the garlic as they will cook faster that way.
More chicken recipes
We hope that you love this tasty chicken leek pasta! Be sure to also check out these other chicken dishes too!
Chicken and Leek Pasta
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 leeks medium sized cleaned and cut into ¼-inch slices
- 1 onion small, diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 8 ounces linguine
- 2 ½ cups vegetable stock (600ml)
- 1 ½ cups water (350ml)
- ½ teaspoon Italian herbs
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- ½ cup heavy cream (double cream) (115ml)
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese plus more for serving (25g)
- Heat the oil in a large pot over a medium/low heat, then add the chicken pieces and sautee until cooked through. Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Add the onion and leeks to the pan the chicken was in and cook, stirring often for 7-10 minutes or until soft and beginning to brown. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Add the pasta, stock, water, Italian herbs and red pepper flakes, and cook, covered with a lid, stirring regularly for 12 minutes or until the pasta is cooked.
- Stir in the chicken, cream and parmesan and cook for a few minutes to heat through.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper if desired.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.