This BLT Bites recipe only takes a few simple ingredients and can be made in minutes! Simply layer bacon, lettuce, and tomato on a piece of toast spread with mayo. These delicious little appetizers are perfect for any party or game-day gathering!
Your guests are going to love these cute, and tasty, little BLT Bites appetizers!
The BLT is a classic sandwich that stands the test of time. It's made with bacon, lettuce, and tomato, and it's delicious!
The BLT has been around for centuries, and it's one of the most popular sandwiches in America.
So why not take this classic sandwich and turn it into an easy appetizer? That's what we did with this recipe for BLT Bites!
For this recipe, you'll need simple ingredients including bacon, lettuce, tomato, and bread. You can also use your favorite mayonnaise or aioli sauce to complement or change up the flavor.
Then, simply layer the bacon, lettuce, and tomato on a piece of small white bread and spread with your sauce of choice. Plate them up and watch them disappear!
Why Make This Recipe
The entire BLT Bites recipe takes just minutes to make, especially if you have pre-cooked bacon.
You can change up the flavor by using different mayo-based sauces.
The combination of bacon, lettuce, and tomato is a classic flavor everyone will enjoy.
Bring them to a party or assemble them as a quick after school or work snack.
They're easy and perfect for game day.
- Bacon - You can use any type of bacon you enjoy for this recipe. Just make sure it's completely cooked and the excess oil is drained off.
- Bread - The options here are endless when it comes to which kind of bread to use. We kept it simple and used white bread, toasted.
- Mayonnaise - This spread is key to the flavor so don't skip it! You can also use store-bought mayonnaise or make your own mayo.
- Cherry Tomatoes - Adds a sweet garden-fresh taste to the mix.
- Lettuce - Gives these bites a hearty vegetable crunch.
- Basil Aioli
- Dill Aioli with Lemon & Garlic
- Horseradish Aioli
- Truffle Aioli
- Arby's Horsey Sauce
- Chipotle Southwest Sauce (Subway Copycat)
- Donair Sauce
Please scroll down to the recipe card below for the full quantities.
Wondering how to make this BLT Bites recipe? It's easy!
Just follow this step-by-step photo tutorial. Then, scroll down for the recipe card for the full ingredients list and recipe method.
Cook the bacon: To a non-stick skillet, add the cold bacon strips and turn the heat to low. After the fat starts to render, increase the heat to medium, then cook for about 2 minutes on each side until fully cooked. Let the bacon drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
Prepare the bread: Give the bread a light toasting in the oven or toaster oven. Then, using a shot glass or a cookie cutter, cut out 1-inch circles for the base of the appetizer.
Prepare the bacon and vegetables: Chop the cooked and cooled bacon into 1-inch pieces, along with the lettuce. Slice the cherry tomatoes into halves or leave them whole if they're small.
Assemble the appetizer: Spread a bit of mayo onto the toast circles. Then thread it onto a toothpick followed by the bacon, lettuce, and tomato. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Plate and enjoy!
When toasting the bread, you want to make sure it's still a bit soft in the middle as it will absorb the moisture from the other ingredients.
If you're using store-bought mayonnaise, we recommend using one that's on the creamier side. Try Duke's.
Chop the bacon, lettuce, and tomato into similar sizes to make sure everything is nice and uniform.
Make sure you do not overcook the bacon as it can crumble once pierced with a toothpick.
If you have cherry tomatoes that are too large, cut them into halves.]
Change up the bacon: Try using other types of bacon in this recipe including turkey bacon, beef bacon, or even flavored bacon like maple or applewood smoked.
Try different breads: There are so many types of bread you can use for this recipe. Instead of white bread, try a ciabatta or even a baguette that's been thinly sliced.
Use other sauces: If you don't want to use mayonnaise, try using another type of sauce like pesto or even a vinaigrette.
Swap out the greens: Instead of lettuce, try using other greens like kale, arugula or even baby spinach.
Make them gluten-free: Use your favorite type of gluten-free bread to make this recipe.
Storage & Freezing
Though best served immediately, if you have any leftover BLT bites, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days. This appetizer is not freezer-friendly.
The most common types of lettuce used in BLT's are iceberg, romaine, or even baby greens, but you can use any green you enjoy.
This appetizer is best made fresh but you can prep some of the ingredients in advance. Cut the bacon and toast the bread ahead of time then assemble when ready to serve.
This recipe will yield about 16 BLT bites, depending on the size of your bread and toothpicks.
More appetizer recipes
We hope that you love this tasty mini BLT Bites appetizer recipe! Be sure to also check out these other appetizers too!
BLT Bites Appetizer
- Frying Pan
- Chopping board
- 6 slices bacon
- 4 slices white bread
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 16 cherry tomatoes (or 8 larger, cut in half)
- 1 cup lettuce
Cook the bacon:
- Place the bacon into a cold non-stick frying pan over a low heat.
- After a few minutes, when some fat starts to run out of the bacon, turn the heat up to medium and cook for about 2 minutes on each side.
- Remove from the pan and allow them to cool and drain on paper towel on a plate.
Assemble the appetizer:
- Toast the bread lightly, then cut 1-inch circles out with a cookie cutter, shot glass, or bottle lid.
- Cut the bacon into 1-inch pieces and cut the lettuce into 1-inch pieces.
- Add a little mayonnaise to each round of toast.
- Thread the toast onto toothpicks, then a piece of bacon, lettuce and top with a tomato.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients onto more toothpicks.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.