Bisquick Oven Fried Chicken is crispy and delicious without all the added fat from deep frying. It's simple to make, too - just season your chicken pieces with some spices, dip them in Bisquick, and bake in the oven. You'll have a delicious and healthy protein that everyone will love!
If you're looking for a lightened-up fried chicken recipe, try making this super easy Bisquick oven fried chicken!
It's full of flavor, tender inside, and crispy outside, plus it's not greasy.
The whole family is going to love this easy dinner recipe.
I'm sure you know Bisquick, the pre-made flour and baking mix that you can find at most grocery stores. It's great for making quick and easy recipes, like this Bisquick oven-fried chicken.
There are so many benefits to making chicken this way.
For starters, it's a really easy way to make crispy chicken without using a deep fryer.
Second, oven-fried chicken is much healthier than traditional fried chicken using junky oils.
And finally, this recipe is super versatile - you can use whatever spices you like to season the chicken.
Serve it with some roasted vegetables or a simple salad for a healthy and delicious meal! I love serving it with a side of Texas Roadhouse Seasoned Rice, some Buttered Cabbage and a big dish of Wingstop Ranch for dipping the bisquick chicken into!
Be sure to check out these 26 Bisquick Recipes.
Why Make This Recipe
- You'll save money by using a whole chicken to cook in pieces.
- The chicken isn't deep fried in fattening oil making it a healthier option.
- It's crispy and crunchy on the outside just like fried chicken.
- Flavor the chicken with your favorite spices and seasonings mixed into the Bisquick.
- It's a quick and simple weekday dinner the whole family will love.
- Butter - Used to grease the hot pan that the chicken gets cooked in. Helps keep it from sticking and helps the chicken keep a golden-brown crust with extra flavor. You can substitute oil though.
- Whole Chicken Pieces - The pieces of a whole chicken are used to create an oven-fried chicken that is bone-in, skin-on. Use prebought pieces like thighs or legs, or cut up a chicken yourself.
- Salt & Pepper - Used to season and enhance the flavor of the chicken and the crust.
- Bisquick - The dry coating for the chicken that helps it turn crispy in the oven.
- Smoked Paprika - Adds a light smoky flavor to the crispy chicken.
- Garlic Powder - Infuses the chicken with garlic flavor.
- Egg - Helps bind the batter together to help it stick to the chicken properly.
- Milk - Thins out the batter while keeping it creamy and ready to bake.
- Cooking Spray - Helps keep the chicken crispy on the outside when baking.
Please scroll down to the recipe card below for the full quantities.
How to make Bisquick Oven Fried Chicken
Wondering how to make this Bisquick Oven Baked Chicken recipe? It's easy!
Just follow this step-by-step photo tutorial. Then, scroll down for the recipe card for the full ingredients list and recipe method.
Prepare for baking: Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Add the butter to a 13x9-inch baking dish, place it into the oven to melt the butter, and heat the dish. Set aside.
Mix the batter: In a bowl, stir the Bisquick, paprika, and onion powder in a bowl until combined. In a separate bowl, beat the egg and milk together.
Coat the chicken: Add the chicken to the egg mixture to coat, then coat in the dry mixture. Store on a plate until all pieces are coated.
Bake the chicken: Add the chicken to the prepared hot baking dish, then spray a light coating of oil on top of the chicken with cooking spray. Bake for 35 minutes, then flip and cook an additional 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through to an internal temperature of 165F (with a meat thermometer) and the skin is crispy and golden brown.
- Use a whole chicken cut into pieces to make this recipe. This will help save money. Or buy your favorite pieces like drumsticks, legs or thighs.
- To make sure the chicken is fully cooked, use a kitchen thermometer and make sure the thickest part of the chicken reads 165F.
- It's important to heat the pan with butter before cooking the chicken, this will help the chicken cook evenly and crisp up properly.
- Make sure all the pieces are fully coated in both the Bisquick mixture and egg mixture.
- If you don't have a whole chicken, use drumsticks, thighs, or breasts.
- Use a different spice mixture on the chicken to flavor it with your favorite spices and seasonings like taco seasoning, cajun seasoning, ranch mix, etc.
- Add panko breadcrumbs or crushed butter crackers to the dry mix for an extra crunchy crust.
- Add some dried herbs like thyme, rosemary, and oregano to the Bisquick mixture for extra fresh herb flavor.
- To make gluten-free, use a gluten-free Bisquick mix.
- Serve it with Wingstop Ranch, Taco Bell Chipotle Sauce, Ikea Dill Mustard Sauce, or Donair Sauce!
Storage & Freezing
Storing: To store leftover chicken, allow it to cool completely, then store in an airtight container for up to four days.
Freezing: To freeze the chicken, place each piece of chicken into a freezer-safe bag or container and freeze for up to three months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating on the stovetop, oven, or microwave until heated through and crispy again. You can also reheat it in the air fryer.
Yes, however, the cooking time will be less since they are smaller. Start checking the chicken wings at 25 minutes and remove them when they are crispy and golden brown.
Yes, you can use boneless, skinless chicken breasts in this recipe. The cook time may need to be adjusted depending on the thickness of the chicken breast.
You can use a mix of flour and baking powder as a substitute for Bisquick as well as pancake mix or Jiffy baking mix.
More chicken recipes
We hope that you love this tasty Bisquick Baked Chicken! Be sure to also check out these other side dishes too!
Bisquick Oven Fried Chicken
- Baking Sheet
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 lbs chicken whole cut up, drumsticks, thighs etc
- ⅔ cup bisquick
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons Cooking oil spray
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Add the butter to a 13x9-inch baking dish, place it into the oven to melt the butter and heat the dish.
- Meanwhile, stir the Bisquick, paprika and onion powder in a bowl.
- In another bowl, lightly beat the egg and milk together.
- Dip each piece of chicken into the egg mixture, then into the Bisquick mixture. Place onto a plate until they’re all done.
- Carefully place the prepared chicken into the hot baking dish and spray lightly with cooking oil spray.
- Bake for for 35 minutes, then turn each piece and cook for a further 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the crust is crispy and golden brown.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.