This delicious and tender Beef and Broccoli is perfectly cooked in just 25 minutes with a homemade Chinese-style stir fry sauce. It's as easy as it is irresistible!
If you're like me and crave a hearty meal that doesn't require hours in the kitchen, this Beef and Broccoli stir-fry is a game-changer.
Ready in under 25 minutes (including 15 minute marinating time!), it's a perfect balance of tender beef, vibrant broccoli, and a delectable sauce that ties everything together.
This dish is a favorite not only for its fantastic taste but also for how effortlessly it comes together.
Whether you're a seasoned home cook or just starting out, you'll appreciate the simplicity and deliciousness of this recipe.
We love to serve it on a bed of fragrant basmati rice, or over noodles!
Beef and Broccoli stir-fry is a winner in every sense. Its simplicity, flavor-packed profile, and ability to satisfy your cravings with minimal effort make it a go-to recipe for any occasion.
Flank steak, cut from the cow's belly, boasts a rich flavor and versatility.
Often marinated and grilled, it's key to slice against the grain for tenderness.
Its adaptability shines in fajitas, stir-fries, and salads, and its robust nature welcomes various seasonings.
Flank steak is also known as "London broil" or "jiffy steak" in some regions.
If you're looking for substitutions in a stir-fry, consider using thinly sliced skirt steak, sirloin steak, or even chicken breast as alternatives to flank steak.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Quick and Easy: With minimal prep work and a short cooking time, this recipe is perfect for those busy weeknights when you want a satisfying meal without the fuss.
- Customizable: You can easily adapt the recipe to your taste by adjusting the seasonings or adding other vegetables like bell peppers or snap peas.
- Budget-Friendly: Beef and broccoli are both affordable ingredients, making this dish a wallet-friendly option for feeding a family or a group of friends.
- Healthier Takeout Alternative: Making your own Beef and Broccoli stir-fry at home allows you to control the ingredients and avoid excessive sodium or unhealthy additives found in some takeout versions.
- Impressive Flavor: The combination of soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and sesame oil creates a flavorful sauce that elevates the entire dish.
You only need simple pantry ingredients for this recipe! It's a rather long list, but you probably already have most of it in your pantry.
- Beef: I usually go for flank steak or sirloin as they become incredibly tender when sliced thinly against the grain.
- Broccoli: The star vegetable, delivering vibrant color, crunch, and nutrition.
- Soy Sauce: The umami-rich base of the marinade and sauce. For a gluten-free version, opt for tamari sauce.
- Brown Sugar: Adds a touch of sweetness to balance the savory flavors.
- Cornstarch: This thickens the sauce and helps the beef to get that lovely caramelized crust during stir-frying.
- Lemon Juice: A subtle hint of brightness.
- Beef Broth: Enhances the depth of flavor in the sauce.
- Sesame Oil: Provides a distinct nutty aroma.
- Ginger Root: Freshly grated ginger adds a zingy kick.
- Garlic: Minced garlic adds a wonderful aromatic quality.
- Black Pepper: A dash of black pepper gives a gentle heat.
- Vegetable Oil: For stir-frying, a neutral oil like vegetable oil works best.
See the recipe card for quantities and method.
How to make Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
Follow these step-by-step instructions, then scroll down for the full ingredients list and method.
In a bowl, combine the sliced beef with soy sauce, brown sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Mix well and let it marinate for at least 15 minutes.
Add all sauce ingredients, except the cornstarch to a bowl and whisk to combine. Mix the cornstarch in 1 tablespoon of water, then whisk it into the sauce. Set aside.
Blanch the broccoli florets in boiling water for about 1-2 minutes until they turn bright green. Drain and immediately place them in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process. Drain again and set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat. Once hot, add the marinated beef and quickly stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until it's browned and cooked through.
Add the sauce and cook for a further 2 minutes until it thickens.
Stir in the blanched broccoli and stir fry for a further minute to heat through.
Serve the beef and broccoli over cooked rice. You can garnish with sesame seeds if desired.
Scroll down for the full ingredients list and method.
- Chicken and Broccoli: Swap out the beef for boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs.
- Tofu and Broccoli: For a vegetarian twist, use firm tofu instead of meat. Press the tofu to remove excess moisture before stir-frying.
- Spicy Kick: If you're a fan of heat, add red pepper flakes or a drizzle of Sriracha to the sauce.
- Cashew Crunch: Toss in roasted cashews or almonds for extra texture and flavor.
- Mushroom Magic: Sautéed mushrooms are a wonderful addition that brings an earthy richness to the dish.
More Easy Dinner Recipes
Store your Beef and Broccoli stir-fry in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When you're ready to reheat, use a skillet or microwave to warm it gently, preserving the flavors and textures as much as possible.
- Thin Slices: Slicing the beef thinly against the grain ensures tenderness. You'll be amazed at the difference it makes.
- Prep Ahead: You can marinate the beef and blanch the broccoli in advance to save time when you're ready to cook.
- Hot and Fast: Stir-frying happens quickly over high heat. Have all your ingredients prepped and ready to go before you start cooking.
Yes, you can, but fresh broccoli will have a crisper texture.
Beef and Broccoli
For the Beef Marinade
- 1 ½ pounds beef, flank steak or sirloin sliced thinly against the grain
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
For the Sauce
- ½ cup beef broth
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger root
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
For the Stir Fry
- 1 ½ cups broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Rice for serving
- In a bowl, combine the sliced beef with soy sauce, brown sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Mix well and let it marinate for at least 15 minutes.
- Add all sauce ingredients, except the cornstarch to a bowl and whisk to combine. Mix the cornstarch in 1 tablespoon of water, then whisk it into the sauce. Set aside.
- Blanch the broccoli florets in boiling water for about 1-2 minutes until they turn bright green. Drain and immediately place them in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process. Drain again and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat. Once hot, add the marinated beef and quickly stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until it's browned and cooked through.
- Add the sauce and cook for a further 2 minutes until it thickens.
- Stir in the blanched broccoli and stir fry for a further minute to heat through.
- Serve the beef and broccoli over cooked rice. You can garnish with sesame seeds if desired
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.