Air Fryer Hot Dogs taste even better than grilled or boiled! Plus, they're super quick. You can even add cheese and toast the bun in the air fryer for a next-level game day weiner!
Air Fryer hot dogs are sooooo good! They're quick, easy and get deliciously cooked. Even better than grilled, I'd say!
Plus, they're ready in minutes.
I also love that you can put the air fried hot dogs into a bun, add some shredded cheese and put the whole thing back into the air fryer! It melts the cheese and toasts the bun. Perfection!
Cooking with an air fryer is simple and convenient. These unique kitchen gadgets are perfect for people who don't have much time to cook but still want a delicious meal!
The air fryer circulates dry heat around the entire surface area of the food making sure it cooks quickly and evenly.
One of the easiest proteins to cook in the air fryer is good old-fashioned hot dogs.
Purchase your favorite ones and air fry for a few minutes, flipping halfway through. The result is a golden brown hot dog on the outside that’s warm and tender on the inside.
Serve air fryer hot dogs with your favorite toppings like ketchup, mustard, onions, relish or cheese!
Why Make This Recipe
You can use your favorite hot dogs, wieners, or sausages. I try to go for the best quality ones - they taste better!
The hot dog is cooked perfectly the whole way through thanks to the circulating heat.
You can have lunch or dinner on the table in just 7 minutes or less.
The topping ideas are endless and can be changed up every time.
Ingredients & Tools
- Hot Dogs - You can use any hot dog, sausage, or wieners you enjoy. Depending on their size, they may need more or less cooking time.
- Hot Dog Buns - Buns can be used to cradle the hot dog after their cooked or they can go inside the air fryer with the cooked hot dog along with toppings to get them warm and toasty.
- Toppings - use whatever you like, ketchup, cheese, relish, cheese, onions etc...
- Air Fryer - There are many air fryers to choose from if you don’t have one already. Generally, they all work the same, but make sure you purchase one with an air fryer basket big enough to cook for your size family.
- Tongs - A good set of tongs helps you maneuver food around the air fryer basket while keeping your hands safe.
Please scroll down to the recipe card below for the full quantities.
Wondering how to make this air fryer hot dogs recipe? It's easy!
Just follow this step-by-step photo tutorial. Then, scroll down for the recipe card for the full ingredients list and recipe method.
Add the hot dogs: Place the hot dogs at the bottom of the air fryer basket in a single layer.
Air fry hot dogs: Set the temperature to 400F (200C) and set the timer to 5 minutes.
Flip hot dogs: Halfway through the cooking time, use tongs to flip the hot dogs over for even cooking.
Adjust and serve: Once the timer goes off, check if your hot dogs need a few additional minutes depending on their size. If they are golden and warmed through, remove with tongs and serve with your favorite toppings.
Air fry with bun: (OPTIONAL) To cook your hot dog and warm the bun at the same time, add the air-fried hot dog to the bun and place it back into the air fryer for 2 minutes. You can also add toppings such as cheese and chili until melted.
To get your hot dogs even more crispy, preheat the air fryer for 3-5 minutes. This will warm up the air fryer basket giving the surface area even more time to brown.
Score your hot dogs lightly with a knife along one side to allow steam to escape and to create an even more crispy texture on the outside. This is not necessary though.
Every air fryer is different when it comes to temperature. You can set your timer to 7 minutes and then decide if you want to use the extra cooking time depending on how it looks halfway.
If you happen to forget to rotate the hot dogs at their halfway mark, they will still cook up nicely.
Serving Suggestion and Toppings Ideas
Top the hot dogs with a ladle of Homemade Hot Dog Chili for a decadent dog.
Add shredded, sliced, or queso cheese to the hot dog inside the bun and let it melt with the heat of the air fryer for a cheesy hot dog.
Sliced Pickled Jalapenos give these hot dogs a kick of heat and fresh jalapeno flavor.
Add sweet baked beans on the top for a sweet and savory hot dog flavor combination.
BBQ sauce and onion rings give hot dogs a sweet and smoky flavor with onion crunch.
While this method is used with hot dogs, you can use it to cook any pre-cooked sausage including:
- Chicken Sausages
- Breakfast Sausage Links
- Vegan Hot Dogs
- Jumbo Hot Dogs
Storage & Freezing
Storing: Air-fried hot dogs will last in the fridge for 3-4 days in an airtight container. Reheat using the air fryer to crisp them up again.
Freezing: While best served immediately, you can freeze cooked hot dogs. Wrap them tightly in plastic wrap once they are cooled and freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
Putting tin foil on the air fryer basket restricts airflow to the food and is not recommended. However, in certain models, you can put the foil UNDER the air fryer basket to catch any oil or drippings for easier cleanup.
While it is not necessary, it is a good idea to preheat the air fryer when cooking meat to allow it to cook faster and to help create a golden brown texture on the outside.
More air fryer recipes
We hope that you love this tasty recipe for hot dogs in air fryer! Be sure to also check out these other air fryer recipes too!
Air Fryer Hot Dogs
- Air Fryer
- 4 hot dogs
- 4 hot dog buns
To serve (optional):
- 4 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- Place the hot dogs into the air fryer and cook at 390 degrees F (200 degrees C) for 5 minutes, turning once.
- Place them into a bun and enjoy.
- Alternatively, you can put the air fried hot dog into the bun and top with the cheese (if using). Place them into the air fryer and cook for a further 2 minutes or until the cheese melts on the hot dog and the bun gets nice and crispy on the outside.
- Enjoy drizzled with ketchup, mustard etc.. as desired.
- To get your hot dogs even more crispy, preheat the air fryer for 3-5 minutes. This will warm up the air fryer basket giving the surface area even more time to brown.
- Score your hot dogs lightly with a knife along one side to allow steam to escape and to create an even more crispy texture on the outside.
- Every air fryer is different when it comes to temperature. You can set your timer to 7 minutes and then decide if you want to use the extra cooking time depending on how it looks halfway.
- If you happen to forget to rotate the hot dogs at their halfway mark, they will still cook up nicely.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.