Looking for a new way to cook drumsticks? Try these Air Fryer Chicken Legs! You're going to LOVE the seasonings. Cooking chicken legs in the air fryer makes them tender on the inside and wonderfully crispy on the outside.
This simple Air Fryer Chicken Legs recipe makes drumsticks that are soft and tender inside, while they get super crispy on the outside!
I've added my favorite seasoning blend, to make these Air Fryer Drumsticks out-of-this-world good! This is my favorite way to make chicken legs, plus it's quick and easy.
The air fryer is a wonderful kitchen tool that makes cooking easy.
The air fryer cooks by circulating hot air around the food, which results in quick and evenly cooked food. This is a great way to cook proteins, vegetables, and to reheat or thaw food!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐"Tried and was so moist and tasty...I didn't think brown sugar would work but was a perfect addition. The family loved this recipe, it will be in our rotation!!" - Sophie, on pinterest.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ "My favourite chicken spice mix!" - Jada, on pinterest.
One of my favorite ways to cook chicken is by using the air fryer. The dry heat makes the skin crispy which helps seal in the meat which stays moist and tender on the inside.
The best part is, cooking air fryer chicken legs takes just 20 minutes or less which makes it a great dinner option for weeknight meals or when you need something quick that is high in protein.
Serve air fryer drumsticks with your favorite sides including french fries or Air Fryer Baby Potatoes, rice (you'll love Texas Roadhouse Seasoned Rice copycat, or your favorite vegetable dishes or salads.
Serve them with a dish of Wingstop Ranch to dip into!
Why Make This Recipe
- Chicken legs in air fryer are perfectly cooked in just 20 minutes or less.
- You can season and flavor them any way you enjoy. I've added my favorite seasoning blend.
- Many different sides can be paired with these drumsticks making them highly versatile.
- This is a simple meal for weeknight dinners or on-the-go meals for workweek lunches.
- Perfect for game day!
- Chicken Drumsticks (Chicken legs) - You'll need chicken legs that are fresh and ready for seasoning.
- Smoked Paprika - Adds a light smoky flavor to the chicken that pairs well with the rest of the seasonings.
- Garlic and Onion Powder - Infuses the chicken with garlic and onion flavor.
- Italian Seasoning - Adds a layer of fresh herb taste coming from the blend of seasonings.
- Brown Sugar - Though optional, brown sugar adds a light hint of sweetness to the chicken which helps round out the savory flavors.
- Salt and Pepper - Seasoning chicken with salt and pepper helps enhance the seasonings and the natural flavor of the chicken.
- Vegetable Oil - Used to help the seasoning stick to the chicken as well as helps the skin get nice and crispy on the outside. You only need a tiny amount for air fryer chicken legs, as opposted to baked or fried!
Please scroll down to the recipe card below for the full quantities.
Wondering how to make this Air Fryer Drumsticks recipe? It's easy!
Just follow this step-by-step photo tutorial. Then, scroll down for the recipe card for the full ingredients list and recipe method.
Prepare the air fryer: While preparing the chicken and seasonings, preheat your air fryer to 380F. While it's not always necessary to preheat the air fryer, it does help keep the skin crispy.
Prepare the seasoning: In a large bowl, mix the dry seasonings along with the brown sugar until fully combined.
Prepare the drumsticks: Remove the drumsticks from their package and use paper towels to pat them completely dry. Add them to the bowl with the mixed seasonings.
Season the chicken legs: Drizzle in the oil, then toss the drumsticks with the seasonings and oil until evenly combined.
Air fry the chicken drumsticks: Place the seasoned drumsticks into the bottom of the air fryer basket in a single layer. Cook for 10 minutes, then use tongs to flip over. Cook for an additional 7-8 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165F. Serve hot.
To ensure the chicken stays tender while cooking/frying in circulating heat, it's best to let the chicken rest on the counter for 10-15 minutes to take the chill off.
Make sure the chicken is pat completely dry. This will help ensure the seasonings stick and that the skin gets crispy.
The cooking time will depend on how large your drumsticks are. You may need more or less cooking time. For best results, use a kitchen thermometer.
Make sure the chicken is in a single layer in the air fryer basket and do not overcrowd. You may have to cook the chicken in batches if your air fryer is too small.
This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled to fit your family's needs.
If you don't like chicken drumsticks, try using chicken thighs or chicken breasts in this recipe. Be sure to use a thermometer to gauge the cooking time.
Spice up the chicken drumsticks by adding in some cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper flakes to the seasoning mix.
Instead of Italian seasoning, try using a different blend of herbs like rosemary, thyme, or oregano. You can also use freshly chopped herbs.
Storage & Freezing
Storing: Cool the chicken completely and store in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Reheat using the air fryer at a lower temperature until warmed through.
Freezing: To freeze cooked chicken drumsticks, place them in a single layer on a baking sheet and freeze for 30-60 minutes until solid. Then, transfer to an airtight container or freezer bag and store for up to three months. To reheat, cook from frozen in the air fryer at 380F for 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
It depends on the size of your air fryer but most standard home models should be able to handle up to six drumsticks at a time. You may have to cook the chicken in batches if your air fryer is too small.
Yes, you can use any type of cooking oil you prefer. Olive oil or avocado oil are both good choices as they have a high smoke point.
You may need to cook the chicken for longer if the internal temperature of the drumsticks isn't 165F. It is best to use a kitchen thermometer inserted into one of the larger pieces or thickest part of the meat.
More Air Fryer Recipes
We hope that you love this tasty air fryer chicken drumsticks recipe! Be sure to also check out these other air fryer recipes too!
More Chicken Recipes
Chicken is so versatile! I hope you love these other chicken recipes too.
Air Fryer Drumsticks (Chicken Legs)
- Air Fryer
- 8 chicken drumsticks legs
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar optional
- ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Preheat the air fryer to 380F (190C) .
- In a medium bowl, stir together the seasonings, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Pat the drumsticks dry with a paper towel and add the legs to the bowl.
- Drizzle in the oil and toss the drumsticks to coat them evenly in the oil and seasonings.
- Place the chicken legs into the basket of the air fryer in a single layer.
- Cook for 10 minutes, then use tongs to flip the drumsticks and cook for 7-8 more minutes or until they are cooked through (the internal temperature of the drumsticks with a meat thermometer is 165 degrees).
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.